The Rainbow Boa Forum
The Rainbow Boa Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Rainbow Boa Posts
 General Posts
 New vivarium build

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CBRNick Posted - 12/08/2014 : 17:02:21
Right.
So my corn snake is just about ready for a new bigger home, and Rune my BRB is in a four foot viv that is in dire need of replacement and so I thought I would build a new viv stack to house both of them.

So...
First thing was to design the modular unit that I was going to build rather than just hack and slash, so that I would have something that I could alter as I went on but would at least have a basic plan to work to.

So I came up with this after scribbling about in Sketchup for a while
[URL=http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/stuffisubscribeto/media/Vivarium%20build/0001_zps375afd8d.jpg.html][/URL]

A short while, a cutting list and an ebay order of 12mm marine play and a sunny afternoon later I ended up with three piles of cut panels.

[URL=http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/stuffisubscribeto/media/Vivarium%20build/0002_zps937ccfb1.jpg.html][/URL]

So the bottom unit module went together first.
[URL=http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/stuffisubscribeto/media/Vivarium%20build/0003front_zps612e5eb7.jpg.html][/URL]

The base unit is braced but has no back. This is so that I can run all the cables and tubing down the back of the units and into the base where I will house the thermostats and RUBS, pump for the mist king unit and all my other bits and pieces out of sight.
[URL=http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/stuffisubscribeto/media/Vivarium%20build/0004back_zps82939de2.jpg.html][/URL]

Then the middle unit.
[URL=http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/stuffisubscribeto/media/Vivarium%20build/0005_zpsb1785e0a.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/stuffisubscribeto/media/Vivarium%20build/0006_zps150cfc9f.jpg.html][/URL]
The cut outs are to allow me to put a false bottom in the viv with a small air space. This will allow me to add an under floor heat mat at the cool end and control the hot and cold ends precisely even if the winter gets cold and the central heating is off.
I may never need to do this, but I have given myself the option for a little gentle underfloor heating if I ever want it.

And finally the top unit. I changed the height of the top unit a little from my original plan and made it higher so that I can give Rune some additional floor space by adding levels.

The middle unit will be for my corn snake and the top unit for my BRB.
The unit is 5 foot wide by 20 inches deep, the middle unit is 20 inches tall and the top unit is just under three foot tall.

Hopefully my snakes should end up with plenty of space when the eventually get into in their new homes.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blackcat Posted - 16/08/2014 : 15:12:44
Not expecting that - but pink isn't my colour really.
So I wont be going out to buy one just yet
CBRNick Posted - 15/08/2014 : 13:49:22
Yes they do...
Blackcat Posted - 14/08/2014 : 22:48:01
I will take your word for that, haven't had a bike for several years now
It wouldn't be the fastest with me - was scared of coming off at high speed.
Do they come in candy floss pink for girls?
CBRNick Posted - 14/08/2014 : 12:56:02
Triumph Roulette green, it's the best (and fastest) shade of green in West Sussex :-)
Blackcat Posted - 13/08/2014 : 23:14:20
I can see all the photos - looking good.
I will say I don't like the Kermit green of your other toy would much prefer it in British Racing Green
Snakesitter Posted - 13/08/2014 : 20:33:25
Hmm, maybe it's just me then. Do they work for other people as well?
CBRNick Posted - 12/08/2014 : 22:49:55
Hmm, they are showing ok for me, but it won't let me edit the posts. I'll try again tomorrow to edit
Snakesitter Posted - 12/08/2014 : 20:56:25
Wow, impressive goal! Looks like you will have two happy snakes in the end!

BTW, your images seem to be showing as tags rather than picts. The code should be [URLx]pict[/URLx], minus the Xs -- no equal sign needed!

Looking forward to the images!
CBRNick Posted - 12/08/2014 : 17:31:32
And now Ive hit a slight snag, Ive run out of money...
so the next steps are going to have to be done bit by bit.

Ive been toying with exactly what material to make the false floor from and by chance, I came into possession of a huge (now empty) home made vivarium through an animal rescue I was involved in, that was used to house a monitor lizard and the glass doors are two sheets of 4mm glass laminated with a sandwich layer of 1mm plastic. I think I would have a job putting a hammer through them, and by chance when lain side by side, they are about an inch smaller than the floor area of my new viv, so with a double layer correx border, Ive just found my new vivarium false bottom.

Thats handy harry... stick it in the oven...

So thats where I am at the moment, Ill add updates as I go :-)
CBRNick Posted - 12/08/2014 : 17:23:27
Now to start putting the waterproof lining inside the top unit.
Ive used 4mm Correx sheets which I ordered from a signmaker on Ebay.

I did discover that I couldnt get the back panel in in one piece, however its not an issue, all bead the join and double up with a small strip over the join and bags of VIVSeal, plus the join will be behind the decor when it goes in.

So thats the top, back and sides done, just the inside of the front panels and the false floor to put in before I double seal all the joints and test it for water leakage.
CBRNick Posted - 12/08/2014 : 17:17:02
So the inside of both the vivariums has now had two coats of yacht varnish.
Note, if you copy this, varnish them and put them in the garage for a few days before you take them indoors.
We spent the next three days with all the doors and windows open which made me almost as popular as the time I cleaned a set of engine cases, a clutch cover and some racing rear sets in the dishwasher...
CBRNick Posted - 12/08/2014 : 17:13:21
Everything filled, sanded and painted in a (sort of) neutral colour.

Some of my other toys in the background :-)

And then humped up to the upstairs back room (My indoor man cave)

Sizes dont really seem to come across well in these pics, the vivarium you can see to the right is two inches short of four foot.
CBRNick Posted - 12/08/2014 : 17:06:48
Two part filler to cover all the screws etc

And then a good amount of elbow grease until its all baby bottom smooth

The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000