The Rainbow Boa Forum
The Rainbow Boa Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Rainbow Boa Posts
 Rainbow Boa - General Keeping information
 Some heating questions :-)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CBRNick Posted - 01/07/2014 : 15:57:27
Hi all.

My female CRB is currently sitting in a wooden viv which I inherited with a ceramic lamp and reflector supplying heat through a round wire grill cut into the top.
Im building a new viv stack to house her and my corn snake and I want to make the best possible environment for her. Catering for the corn will be simple, but the brb needs some more thought.
I used to be a joiner, so building something bespoke and special is no problem, but I have some questions and need some advice on the best way to do certain things.

Im going to split my questions into separate posts, so on with the first ones on heating :-)
The internal dimensions of the new viv will be 1400mm wide by 600mm deep by 600mm high (Sorry imperial people).
This will give her plenty of space and also plenty of height for a platform at each end which will potentially create four individual temperature spots so she will have plenty of options oin where she wants to sit.

The viv will not have the huge wire mesh hole for the light cut into it like her current one which I am finding sucks the humidity out of the air like a vacuum. so Im looking for alternative and better methods of heating.
The new viv will be sealed, lined and waterproof with a standard sized round vent at each end to allow some movement of air. Im going to start with just the one vent at each end, and once the viv is set up and I can add vents if I need them.
So this brings me onto my first question.

I have spent some reading on this, but there are a lot of differing opinions out there.
The lining in the viv might be glass or perspex, I havent quite decided yet, but I think Im most likely going to use perspex or plexiglass.

As far as I am aware, my options main options are:
1. glass or ceramic heat bulb and fitting inside a wire cage at one end.
But if I use a ceramic bulb in this situation, Im not sure how much heat its going to generate close up to the bulb, or how hot the perspex liner will get, or how hot the wire ceramic bulb guard will get.

2. A large top quality waterproof heat mat. The lining in the viv might be glass or perspex, so if I go down the heatmat route, Ill build in a 10mm gap between the base of the viv and the base of the glass/perspex liner to create underfloor heating which will completely remove any issues with heat blocking. I can also put a mat at the opposite end and control the ground level temp at the hot and cold ends exactly even in the winter when the ambient temperature outside the viv is cold and still have an area in the middle that is just ambient (internal) air temperature

3. some kind of heat box at the top of one end.

I intend to also build some kind of automatic misting system into it, Im looking at the MistKing at the moment. So this is also a consideration with heating. It more or less rules out glass bulbs which I dont like anyway.

If I choose the underfloor heatmat option, while it will create perfect temperature zones at ground level, how will it affect temperature higher up in the viv, and more importantly, will it let me create a nice even warm high humidity.

Cost isnt really an issue, so I can get whatever size/quality mats/bulbs and stats I need.

So what are the expert opinions on my options, or do I have other options that I havent taken into consideration.
To my mind, the large underfloor heatmats seem to be a good solution, but has anyone else done it this way or is Infra red a requirement for a brb.

many many thanks in advance for any answers :-)

Be good, if you cant be good, be safe :-)
Nick

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Snakesitter Posted - 11/07/2014 : 20:47:09
LOL! Done! ;-)
CBRNick Posted - 11/07/2014 : 10:15:55
Well, in the mean time, more time for me from the experts :-)
Snakesitter Posted - 07/07/2014 : 20:33:16
So we should keep posting to draw it back...activity begets activity!!!

Nick, sounds like a great plan -- I look forward to updates and pictures!
gmac Posted - 04/07/2014 : 19:59:48
to facebook unfortunately :(
CBRNick Posted - 04/07/2014 : 15:27:46
The three of us seem to be the only people using these forums since 2013...
Where has all the traffic gone?
CBRNick Posted - 04/07/2014 : 09:06:18
Thanks for the replies.
After digesting everything here and going to look at a few setups and putting my hands around a ceramic guard with a 150 ceramic bulb and then spending a long time speaking a really helpful and knowledgeable guy at Blue Lizard Reptiles (sorry if you are on here, I forgot your name)Ive decided where Im going with this.

The main viv stack body will be made from 12mm Marine ply (I used to be a joiner, so building a quality cabinet is no issue).
The inside of the BRB viv will be sealed with varnish for an extra layer of protection and then lined with 4mm plexiglass or correx and sealed on all joins with aquarium or viv sealant. I will be able to fill it like an aquarium and the wood will remain dry.
The floor will have a 12mm gap built in under the liner which will be accessible by a removable panel which will allow me to slide in some underfloor heating mats if I require one to aid with humidity or at the cool end in the winter, but my main heating source will be a ceramic element.
I suspect though the heat insulation will be pretty good and because its going to have minimal venting, hopefully most of the moisture in the air will remain inside.

There will be one adjustable vent at each end with a mist king system to make sure the humidity stays where I want it if I go away for three or four days as I often go camping in the hills for weekends.

Some of my ideas I got from threads on here and if you want Ill post pictures of the viv build here and credit the people whose ideas Ive stolen.

As far as I know, BRB's dont require any specific uv or full spectrum lighting so Im looking at some waterproof strip led systems that will let me switch over from white light in the day to a very low moonlight system in the evening and then full dark at night so she gets defined day and night light cycles.

So, Ive spent an evening making a cut list and ordering materials.
While building it all over the next month or so, Ill be planning what Im going to put inside to make her feel at home while still allowing me to clean her out easily.

Many thanks for the advice :-)
Snakesitter Posted - 02/07/2014 : 20:41:14
A few pointers, Nick:

One, wood is probably the riskiest choice for this species (unless properly sealed or lined), as they require such high humidity. Over time, the humidity destroys wooden enclosures. I know you are replacing it, but I wanted to mention that. If you do use lining, go with plexi – it’s lighter and less fragile than glass.

Two, I’m one of those imperial people. ;-) An adult rainbow should have about six square feet of floor space. Height is not such a concern, as the species is mostly terrestrial as adults, but I like the platform idea anyway. The more options for her, the better.

Three, with this species, less ventilation is more. As you have already discovered, humidity seeps out of the enclosure into the room. None of my vivs have extra vents.

Four, for heating, I recommend either undercage elements such as flexwatt, or radiant heat panels -- in either case, paired with a good thermostat. Bulbs tend to dry the air, making humidity even *harder* to maintain. If you use undercage, don’t worry about heating up higher – snakes can absorb through their bellies fine.

Five, for misting, automatic systems are good…but pricey, and require regular maintenance. I looked into it and passed. If you do go with one, pay up for quality. MistKing impressed me most.

I hope this helps,
gmac Posted - 01/07/2014 : 19:14:50
ok Ima gona give this one a bash lol

Heatmat - no wont give you the ideal temps in the viv,is mainly a contact heater so will only heat whatever its on contact with and wont help your ambient temps really.

Ceramic is the option i would plump for, easier to control and sets the temps just right (with the associated stat naturally ;)

The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000