The Rainbow Boa Forum
The Rainbow Boa Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Rainbow Boa Posts
 Rainbow Boa - General Keeping information
 Feeding. Where do you feed yours?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CBRNick Posted - 04/07/2014 : 09:22:11
Ive always been in the habit of feeding my corn snake out of his viv in a large open top rub. Mainly because I use Lignocel for his substrate and hes a very lazy feeder who doesnt strike but gently takes his food and then drags it around before he is a comfortable position to eat, so he would end up eating loads of substrate.

With the my new BRB I dont think this is so much of an issue as so far she has been a good strike and coil eater.
But Im being given, and reading conflicting information on where to feed her.

Some people say use a large rub or something as a feeding station and dont feed in the viv so she doesnt learn things coming in the viv are food, making her easier to get out and being a boa, she will be quite food orientated. It also eliminates the possibility of eating substrate with her dinner.

Some people say feed in the viv, its better to feed in her home environment.

So what do you sll do and whats your reason for your choice.

Many thanks in advance.
Be good, if you cant be good, be safe :-)
Nick

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Snakesitter Posted - 25/07/2014 : 20:27:11
LOL true that!
Blackcat Posted - 25/07/2014 : 12:52:05
It all depends for me on time restraints.
I try to feed my corns out of their vivs, but it doesn't always happen.
My CRB's are usually fed in RUBS outside of their vivs, just because I find they feed better that way. For a species that are meant to have a good feeding response my two can be very hit and miss on whether they will take an item or not.
My two BRB's are sometimes fed in viv and sometimes in a RUB.
Non of my rainbows like to be watched and I always cover the viv or the RUB and always feed on an evening.
As for snakesitter feeding out of vivs he would never stop the cycle of getting snake out, feeding and then putting snake back in viv
Snakesitter Posted - 07/07/2014 : 20:36:52
I feed my snakes exclusively in their home enclosures these days. One of the arguments for using a feeding station is that the way snakes do not expect food in their home. In my experience, snakes do not expect food unless they can smell it in the air during a feeding session, so the odds of this are very low. Plus, you risk a regurg from transporting the snake back to its home. As trasnporting the snakes to and from costs time anyway, I feel it is not a value-added process.

The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000