The Rainbow Boa Forum
The Rainbow Boa Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Rainbow Boa Posts
 Rainbow Boa - General Keeping information
 how do you wash yours?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CBRNick Posted - 10/08/2014 : 07:48:20
Ok, the first of two questions about poo today :-)
In the interest of increasing the general site post count I'll do each in it's own post.

So, Rune has done a particularly large poo and then decided that the poo is also a nice thing to lie on.
Obviously it's been cleaned out as soon as it was seen on the daily inspection, but the interests of general hygiene with regards to handling etc, (aside from obvious things like washing hands, cleaning gel etc) do you ever wash or clean the snake itself?
And if so, how do you clean yours?
Nick
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Snakesitter Posted - 10/12/2014 : 20:19:46
:-)
IncurableFlirt Posted - 09/12/2014 : 01:24:18
*Deadpan face* What? Snake poo is icky. Mold is.....ickier! :P ;) :D
Snakesitter Posted - 03/12/2014 : 20:55:24
And the award for thorough cleaning goes to... ;-)
IncurableFlirt Posted - 29/11/2014 : 07:11:09
Ah yes....the inevitable snake poo topic. :D :D :D All kidding aside, though, I think Nick has a pretty good question. When Marius was younger, I went through several different types of substrates for him in search of the one that both he and I liked. I kid you not, it has taken me several years to settle (finally) on Forest Floor. But I digress....the point is...during all the time, there were several instances when I would find Marius slithering over a fresh pile of dooky and it would literally gross me out. I have a hard enough time dealing with the constant humidity and the threat of mold (I'm something of a clean freak when it comes to Marius' enclosure, lmao! What?! No, I am not a Mycophobic!) so I had to learn to deal with that too.

I have never used soap on Marius. Let me make that clear. However, during those times when I would find him crawling across (or, god forbid, laying in it) doody, I would pull him out and put him into a separate tub with a lid and about an inch and a half of water (less when he was a baby). While I left him to climb around in that, I spot cleaned (vigorously....what? Mycophobic...) and then returned to him. I would then take a clean wash cloth, wet it and then proceed to let him crawl around and through it, thus satisfying my inane need to remove the (obvious) dooky that I (obviously) perceived to be stuck to him.

And this concludes your lesson on how crazy I really am. Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week. ;)
Snakesitter Posted - 13/08/2014 : 20:31:56
I've had mine do that as well. Only sometimes I don't see it until after I pick them up. (Ewww!) ;-)
CBRNick Posted - 12/08/2014 : 22:47:24
To be honest she doesn't need a wash, it was more of a hypothetical question after she coiled up on a large fresh one a few weeks back and it set me wondering what other people did :-)
Snakesitter Posted - 12/08/2014 : 20:50:54
I've never "washed my snake" either. They have substrate to slither over and a bowl to soak in, and that seems to do it. They also get in worse messes in the wild. If you have to clean, however, try wetting a paper towel with chlorhexadine and letting the snake crawl over it. Good luck!
CBRNick Posted - 10/08/2014 : 22:48:26
Well she sort of decided that this one was going to be a nice thing to cuddle up to... so I was thinking more along the lines of what was being spread up my arms as she likes to sit coiled around my forearms when I have her out :-)
She doesnt really sit in her water, Ive only ever seen her do it once. It could be because I use coco fibre mixed with orchid bark as a substrate. Its a bit messy but it really holds the moisture and makes keeping the viv humidity at 75 to 80 percent very easy.

Blackcat Posted - 10/08/2014 : 15:22:42
I had to laugh, sorry but I always find poo topics funny
I have never washed my snake, both of my BRB's have a habit of having a good old soak in their water bowls, thus all I do is make sure they have clean water once they have decided to vacate the bowl
I have heard of people putting snakes in the bath for a swim, and I assume wash, but I feel that this would be traumatic for the snake so I don't do this, every one has different views and opinions.

The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000