The Rainbow Boa Forum
The Rainbow Boa Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Rainbow Boa Posts
 General Posts
 It *Is* All About Him...But I'll Post Anyway

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Snakesitter Posted - 15/08/2014 : 20:36:26
Name
Cliff, Snakesitter, dubbed by moderators as "Rainbow Master"

Company
Living Gems Reptiles (see sig line)

Occupation
Financial Writer
Snake Breeder
Beer, Pizza, and Mattress Tester

Current Reptiles
Brazilian Rainbows

Reason for Reptile
Perfect pet snake: beauty incarnate, moderate size, I also breed them as a business

I am a rainbow addict. Feel free to ask any questions about the species you might have, and I will do my best to answer!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Snakesitter Posted - 02/09/2014 : 20:55:04
I agree, and hope more breeders come around to this method. Thank you!
Blackcat Posted - 30/08/2014 : 20:36:36
It is such a shame that 'money' comes before the wellbeing of animals in so many cases.
I believe the cost of your quarantine procedures is well worth the knowledge that your whole collection is safer for it.
Snakesitter Posted - 27/08/2014 : 20:33:44
Not as much as I would have hoped. My competitors diligently avoid any mention of illness or death -- despite the fact some have terrible health practices and/or have stated that they never take animals to the vet as it would cost money -- so the average buyer is not very aware of this issue. If they come to me asking about babies I do bring to their attention and get a positive reaction, but rarely does anyone seek me out because of it. :-(
Blackcat Posted - 25/08/2014 : 21:08:41
I remember that thread well, I read it all As a very new keeper of snakes it scared me somewhat, but it did make me realise the importance of quarantine.
My question - with all the raised costs and increased time restraints that your 'quarantine' procedure requires do you find it has any impact on sales and your competitors?
Snakesitter Posted - 21/08/2014 : 20:21:42
LOL! Not yet...but some day.

I understand what you mean by "depending on where the snakes come from," and used to do the same, but have since discovered some prior suppliers were not as diligent as I once thought. So now I grant no exceptions.
gmac Posted - 20/08/2014 : 20:32:08
is very rare for folks to surprise me every time lol, I am now convinced this is your job hahahaha.

very cool on the intake procedures, my quarantine varies somewhat depending on where the snakes come from.
Snakesitter Posted - 20/08/2014 : 20:16:56
Wow...that is a long/tough one.

First, thank you for the kind words. I try to be as thorough and open on my customers' behalves as possible, from record-keeping to answering questions to disease prevention, and am glad to see that get noticed.

Second, I can be a pretty stubborn guy, and while I did have dark fears, I refused to concede the possibility of a disaster until I got a confirmation. A large part of this was because the preliminary diagnosis did not match the animals' symptoms or behaviors. It thankfully turned out my gut reaction was correct, so I did not have to come up with a liquidation plan.

Since then, I have tightened LGR's intake procedure even further: all new animals must go to a vet before they even come home, and I test for any applicable diseases during that visit. Once home, animals are placed on a bleach-level quarantine in a separate rack for a full twelve months -- about nine months longer than even my most diligent competitor uses. At the end of that period, they get a second vet visit. It has worked very well, though it does raise costs and increase time commitments.

Good question!
gmac Posted - 18/08/2014 : 21:49:21
very cool answer,

I have another Q

Im gonna go back a few years to when you emailed me about a thread you were looking to make, when i read it i was mind blown to say the least and the transparency and thoroughness of what you were considering posting regarding a misdiagnosis.

Now im not wanting to open old wounds, but my question would be, at any stage during this did you ever consider throwing in the towel and saying look enoughs enough and did you think the worst possible outcome would be likely or the oposite.

this is a link to the original thread, this is possibly the best ever thread ive read in all my years on a forum http://www.therainbowboa.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1552

apologies for the long question.
Snakesitter Posted - 18/08/2014 : 20:36:59
I once kept, as a petsitter, a large python. A friend dropped it off for a "short time" as he was between homes. The snake? African Rock, eight feet. The time? Three years. *That* was an education.

No other snakes kept.

'Cause rainbows combine beauty, handable-ability (?), and moderate size like no other pet snake.
gmac Posted - 16/08/2014 : 09:39:32
With such a wide spectrum of snakes available in the USA why rainbows? Also have you kept any other snakes

The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000