The Rainbow Boa Forum
The Rainbow Boa Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Rainbow Boa Posts
 Rainbow Boa - General Keeping information
 General Keeping information

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Michael H Posted - 23/10/2014 : 10:24:51
Thinking about getting some Brazilian Rainbow Boa's.

I've currently got 2 Corn's and a Royal Python. Now obviously the habitats from these to the BRB's are completely different with it needing a humid climate.

Just looking for any suggestions as to what to have in the enclosure, tricks to keeping the humidity up etc.

Also what is the temprement like with them? I've read mixed views online, some saying they can be very tame and calm and some saying they can be aggresive. I'm gathering this is just the same with most snakes, if you handle it regually and treat with respect then it will respect you?

Thanks in advance!
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Snakesitter Posted - 28/01/2015 : 20:23:05
My sympathies -- it happens. Sometimes the less going on in an enclosure, the better!
Michael H Posted - 28/01/2015 : 16:04:43
Just seems to be problem after problem... my waterfall has decided to pack up. Doesnt want to pump water now! Think i'm just going to get a decent fogger and leave it now, too much stuff and its getting complicated
Snakesitter Posted - 23/01/2015 : 20:42:40
Congrats on the stable humidity and new names!

LOL they can be pissy at times, just like people. It's usually a bluff, and when in shed, but always listen to your snake's body language as well as sounds.
Michael H Posted - 23/01/2015 : 14:35:55
Humidity is fine now, i've replaced the perspex with a new sheet and minimal ventelation.

Finally given them names! Couldnt think of anything then I was just looking at them and the paterns on their back. They both have 3 joining dots which looks like the micky mouse symbol, so the female is now called Minnie, and the male is called Micky

Micky also hissed at me yesterday while getting him out, first time its happened and took me by supprise! Seemed ok once I had picked him up and he realised i was only picking him up.
Snakesitter Posted - 13/01/2015 : 20:47:17
I've never used a fogger, so am unable to help you on this one. If humidity is not holding, however, you may have too much ventilation into the outside room.
Michael H Posted - 12/01/2015 : 10:53:38
Sorted the roof, took the frame apart for the lid and the mesh just slots in so had a acrylic sheet cut to size to fit in and had no problems since.

Any advice for a fogger would be much appreciated to save me spraying the enclosure constantly. The one i had was first situated inside the waterfall but there was no gaps for the fog to escape so ended up putting a larger bowl underneath and secured the waterfall ontop of that, however the fog doesnt leave the dish. Unsure if its because there is the waterfall ontop of the fogger so there isnt enough clearance? Either way i'm unsure how to proceed with it.

I'd rather not leave the fogger in a open dish on its own as I made the mistake of touching it while it was on and gave myself an electric shock! Would rather avoid the possibility of the snakes doing the same! Only option I have seen is to invest in a fogger that has a pipe going in the top of the enclosure. Looks good but doesnt come cheap!
Snakesitter Posted - 22/12/2014 : 20:47:32
Yep, experienced a few "rat grenades" myself. It's much more fun for the snakes than us!

Great news on the temps.

Try a sheet of custom-cut plexi to replace the lid...just make sure it is thick enough not to bend in the middle, and clamped down.
IncurableFlirt Posted - 21/12/2014 : 09:18:42
I have totally been there with the exploding rat. Not only is it disgustingly gross, it stinks to high heaven too, lol.
Michael H Posted - 19/12/2014 : 15:50:39
Ok quick update, the screen roof has started to rust on my Terrarium. Probably due to the perspex above it keeping the moisture in.

Sorted the heating problem however, turns out the radiator in the room is never on, hence why its the coldest room in the house. Thats now on and the warm side is sitting comfortably at 28°C and the cool side at 24°C with humidity at a constant 75%.

Just need to sort out the roof issue now as i cant keep the mesh on their while its rusting. I've got a few large plastic boxes hanging around so i'll probably cut that down to size and swap it with the mesh/perspex.

In other news, I witnessed my first exploding rat yesterday curtesy of our Royal Python... what a lovely mess to clean up, not!
Snakesitter Posted - 03/12/2014 : 20:57:09
Congrats on the new equipment! Do watch the low temps though, cool temps by themselves are OK for a short spell...but not in combo with high humidity. That can lead to an RI, which these snakes do not do well with.
Michael H Posted - 03/12/2014 : 13:45:45
Ok, so a quick update. Hardware store had no idea to be honest.

The substrate above the heat mat is roughly 24°C and the rest of the tank about 20°C. Doesnt help that they're in the coldest room in the house and it being a glass tank.

May have to relocate to move the corns/royal and swap them around the the BRBs as the room the others are in is warm without heating. The heat mat in both are rarely on because the rooms roughly 25-26°C.

On a side note i've purchased a waterfall and fogger. Both of which arrived yesterday. Waterfall was broken so a replacement is being sent. Tried the fogger out and i must say, its amazing! Should help keep humidity up without the need to keep spraying constantly. Just need to moitor how much water it uses as it will be situated inside the waterfall.
Snakesitter Posted - 24/11/2014 : 20:16:30
Yes on the feeding.

The foil probably is not a form of insulation -- Reflectix is, which is why it works. Ask your local hardware shop what they recommend for inexpesive insulation.

Kind of: there is a 50% chance they inherited a single copy of the gene that, when present in duplicate, causes reduced black pigment.

Michael H Posted - 23/11/2014 : 14:13:51
Ok so that didnt work, tanks sitting at a constant 20°C throughout. Any other ideas?
Michael H Posted - 21/11/2014 : 13:08:00
Ahhh that explains why they wait instead of coming to the food.

Cardboard didnt seem to be doing a great job, its helping to stabalise the temprature, but the heatmat is literally on constantly to keep it heated. Plus its a bit of an eyesore.

Reflectix seems to be a bit expensive, having a look online, i've found radiator reflector foil which seems to be exactly the same thing and its only £6 for a 470mm x 4m roll so will do the whole tank and more! Will be picking it up after work today and giving it a shot.

Think i understand, basically a 50% chance that when they get older the black pigments with fade?
Snakesitter Posted - 19/11/2014 : 20:29:10
Rainbows are ambush predators, so your observations are normal. They sit and wait for their meal to come to them. I wish beer worked like that.

Instead of cardboard, try a material called "Reflectix" (if avilable overseas). It's like bubble wrap coated in foil. Just watch for temp spikes after adding it.

"Hypo," short for "hypomelanistic," means a snake displays less black pigment. Both genes for that trait, hwever, must be hypo. If only one copy is, the animal is said to be "het" for hypo. A "50% possible" het means there is a 50% chance that animal is het for hypo. Does that make sense?

Cheers!

The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000