The Rainbow Boa Forum
The Rainbow Boa Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Rainbow Boa Posts
 Rainbow Boa Health
 Poorly BRB's

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Michael H Posted - 24/02/2015 : 10:46:06
So i've been meaning to come on here for a few days but i've been flat out with redecorating etc.

So on Thursday last week, I had my female BRB out, and noticed some marks on the top of her head, upon closer inspection it was white and patchy, looked a bit sore. She also had 2 white spots along her spine. Being 10pm at night, I was rather worried as I had nowhere to take them at that hour.

Inspected the male and he looked fine, no markings etc so I went about seperating them so that whatever it was, didnt spread. The female was up most of the night, with her head towards the lid of the BRB, as if she had trouble breating.

The next morning I inspected them both, and the Male had now developed a single spot on its spine. Phoned the vets and got an appointment. The vet seemed to think it was a bacterial infection of some sort, so they were both given injections (cant remember what it was) and I was given some cream to rub onto the patches/spots.

Pleased to say the male is now completely free of any marks etc now, and the female is looking much better. Due in for another injection on Friday to keep ontop of things.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Snakesitter Posted - 30/04/2015 : 20:33:46
I'm not sure about corns. With rainbows, however, the females are larger when fully grown. Mind this is averages...you may have an unusually large or fast-growing male, and the opposite female. No worries so long as they are healthy.
Michael H Posted - 30/04/2015 : 09:42:29
Question, I was always under the impression with snakes that the female was larger than males. However in both my corn snakes and the BRB's, the male is bigger?
Snakesitter Posted - 29/04/2015 : 20:25:01
Looking good, Michael! Thank you for sharing. And no worries on the extra-glorious size!
Michael H Posted - 29/04/2015 : 11:37:21
Wow, them pictures came out a lot bigger than I expected... sorry!
Michael H Posted - 29/04/2015 : 11:36:35
Ok, so been busy building a corner cabnet for the Corns/Royal so not had time to get pictures up on here, but here we go!

Micky (male) up first!

Hiding from the camera...

Having a climb

Minnie (female)

Saying hi to the camera :)

Trying to get the rainbow shine, and not doing a very good job!

Both of them having a climb

So, as we can see both nice and healthy again and looking rather happy. Terrarium is maintaining a stable temprature and humidity levels. So all in all, one happy owner! :D
Snakesitter Posted - 20/04/2015 : 20:36:39
Glad to hear it, and looking forward to those picts!
Michael H Posted - 20/04/2015 : 12:34:13
Male is back in his enclosure. Due to be fed tomorrow so I'll get some pictures then :)
Snakesitter Posted - 13/04/2015 : 20:33:05
Great news, Michael! Fingers crossed for a full and speedy recovery.

And if so, we'll of course need new picts as "evidence"! ;-)
Michael H Posted - 13/04/2015 : 13:42:26
Had last injection on Friday, no sign of any symptoms still so looking good, if all is well I'll re-introduce him back into his enclosure end of the week. I also chacked the temps/humidity with other stats and all are correct
Snakesitter Posted - 25/03/2015 : 19:40:34
That sounds like either late-stage infection or neurological.

Yes, most likely bloodwork, to screen for abnormalities. They may also take a fecal sample or a biopsy if the vet feels it is appropriate. Make sure they try and culture whatever they find to ensure proper treatment.

Also double check temps and humidity in their vivs to make sure this was not caused by environment. Sometimes thermostats fail without any obvious signs.

Good luck!
Michael H Posted - 25/03/2015 : 09:55:28
So not having much luck with the BRB's at the moment, they've both got over what they have previously, however about 10 days ago the male developed some very strange behaviour.

Swinging his head back and forth, leaving his tounge sticking out for long periods of time, striking at his food and missing twice and biting himself, picking the food up then letting go again (ended up refusing his food) etc. So very odd, I did get a video of the swinging of his head but not sure how to upload a video on here.

So back to the vet last Friday, back on anti biotics and strict qauranteen from the female, was back to normal by Tuesday, had another jab on Friday just gone and will be on it for the next 3 weeks. If symptoms remain the the vets will be taking samples (gather they mean blood?) to investigate further.
Snakesitter Posted - 05/03/2015 : 20:57:18
Good luck!
Michael H Posted - 05/03/2015 : 10:29:15
Mites, lice same thing to me :)

Thanks, I'll see how they go
Snakesitter Posted - 04/03/2015 : 20:41:55
Do you mean mites? If so, they would have to come from somewhere, and I'd be surprised the vet did not catch them. Mites are little tiny black dots, you can often see them drowned in water looking like little pepper flakes if a snake has an active infection.

More likely in my opinion is residual scale damage caused by whatever the pathogen was. Take a photo for your records and keep a close eye on both of them for more of it. If it's just residual damage then the next shed should fix it.
Michael H Posted - 04/03/2015 : 09:20:48
Ok, so the female is basically completely clear of whatever it was she had. However, I noticed last night that she has a few raised scales along the side of her body. Thinking possibly lice or maybe even related to what she had previously? Going to give her a soak in some warm water tonight as I cant see any lice upon inspection.

The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000