The Rainbow Boa Forum
The Rainbow Boa Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Rainbow Boa Posts
 Rainbow Boa Breeds & Morphs
 Strange boa pattern

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
capester Posted - 11/11/2009 : 21:53:55
Hi guys, new here. I have recently bought this BRB with a strange pattern. Not really sure what to make of it to be honest! Its not as pretty as a normal but it's something different. The normal in the pic is from the same parents but a year apart. Cheers

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CDN_Blood Posted - 03/05/2011 : 00:14:14
I'm gonna think about this one some more...

There's probably something else going on with it, and I only say that because of it's colouration - it has almost a 'ghost' thing happening, but I'd be hesitant to define it as such just yet. It'd be great if someone has seen another like it and already knows the answer though. I'd sure be interested to find out for sure!
bluffscruff Posted - 02/05/2011 : 19:23:01
i thought the same that it was just temp related but out of the first clutch of 15 babies , only this one showed the odd pattern and colour . It was born in the middle of the clutch so not the first out nor the last . In the second clutch with over 20 babies (the mom is a big girl) non of the babies showed any difference to the parents . I have tried the same breeding again this year ( as i only have the one male) so will see if snything odd comes of it . I have also paired the male to this odd colour female as she is big enough to breed now but i have yet to see any mating from them . Its defo more of a colour issue for me than the pattern as she is much lighter than all the rest of my brazilians . I would get a pic of her now but she is going into shed .
CDN_Blood Posted - 02/05/2011 : 18:54:27
Call me crazy, but I'd say it's simply a reduced pattern. It happens now and then. I like it

I should also include that as mentioned above, this type of effect can be a result of temperature fluctuations during gestation, but it's likely you'd see more than one neonate with it.
Snakesitter Posted - 02/05/2011 : 18:02:50
Interesting. Like Kazerella, my first guess would have been a cross or different ssp. Did any of the other babies from those parents ever look similar (if you asked, that is)? Either way, very nice!

Nik, good-looking girl!
JKCarter Posted - 02/05/2011 : 12:48:58
I really do love all the variable patterns BRB's can have. Both of these above are perfect examples of just that. Thanks for sharing the pics.
bluffscruff Posted - 02/05/2011 : 11:58:29
I bred a female baby from two ordinary adults and she has a partially joined pattern much like yours but not to the same extent . She also has a lighter colouration to the rest of the clutch so i kept her back . She is now 3 years old and still looks much lighter than the rest of my rainbows .
Here are some pics of her .

capester Posted - 19/11/2009 : 22:36:53
Hi, I have to admit when I first saw it I thought it was a cross too. The bloke I bought it off was really knowledgeable and into high end stuff from Bob Clarke etc. He bred the BRBs himself and see no reason to lie as the normal one was for sale at a tenner less (both were pretty cheap) as he just wanted to make room for bigger snakes. Some of the other things he had were amazing! Still I have a normal male so hopefully in a year or 2 we'll see what their offspring is like....
Kazerella Posted - 18/11/2009 : 18:15:47
If you hadn't have said that they were from the same parents I might have suggested that the paler one was a different species of Rainbow Boa, maybe a Argentine because they are supposed to be reddy brown with less distinct patterning than Brazilians. I also might have thought it was a Columbian/Brazilian cross.

But if it's definitely from the same parents, then it may just be a late developer. The beauty of BRBs is that their colours and patterns really improve with age, so maybe he'll develop a brighter colour when he's older.
capester Posted - 16/11/2009 : 01:13:33
I have another normal female and a normal male but it'll be another year or two until I can breed them
gingerpony Posted - 13/11/2009 : 20:02:58
with cornsnakes aztec/zigzag type patterns have apparently come about by messing with the temps during incubation (whether intentional or not) but not at a crucial time that could adversely affect a fully formed baby.........but as we're talking live-bearers maybe if you can find another you could try proving whether it's a genetic anomoly?
Kehhlyr Posted - 12/11/2009 : 06:55:13
Don't know about BRB patterns I'm afraid. (kaz says I shouldn't even be here)
But they are beautiful snakies.

The smaller one looks like it has brighter, more clearer markings to me.

The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000