The Rainbow Boa Forum
The Rainbow Boa Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Rainbow Boa Posts
 Rainbow Boa Breeds & Morphs
 Please help me identify

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
aideen Posted - 22/07/2011 : 14:07:17
Hi all, I currently keep a wide variety of reptiles, but have recently taken in two new snakes. The first I was told and believed from my research was a Columbian Rainbow Bow but a local pet shop "who claim to be experts" in reptiles have one identical for sale and have informed me it is def not a Columbian.
Also today I have taken in a "dwarf Boa". I took this in as an emergency case as the owners were moving abroad in 3days time and didnt have anyone lined up to take their snake in.
I dont know alot about "dwarf Boas" and may seem a little ignorant on the subject but are Rainbows classed as Dwarfs, its just when handling this beautiful snake earlier the rainbow marking on it were very prominent. My husband who is the expert in the house isnt around for a few days and I would really like to know exactly what it is. Would like to post some pics for further help but cant figure out how. Any help greatly appreciated.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sandi Posted - 25/07/2011 : 19:59:33
Sorry i didnt get back to you before! meanwhile i have to say i agree with cdn, crawl cay would have been my guess but I'm far from being an expert. I have heard of Nicaraguans but thought they were darker.

I have a CB07 male common boa, he is just under 6ft but was under fed and mistreated when i got him so playing catch up. Either way you do have a gorgeous looking boa there!
aideen Posted - 23/07/2011 : 22:15:08
Oh and im not too convinced of the dwarf part as it is CB07 and already 5ft and very heavy.
aideen Posted - 23/07/2011 : 22:13:59
Thank you, he is a beauty. With regards to the dwarf, apparently now hubby is home he confirms it is a Nicaraguan. personally never heard of it and been trying to find some info online without much success as yet but I will keep looking.
CDN_Blood Posted - 23/07/2011 : 13:01:34
The Rainbow is a Columbian (E.c.maurus) , no doubt about that.

Added: To me, the Boa looks like a Mexican (B.c.imperator) subspecies, commonly now called a 'Crawl Cay'.

I personally don't buy the 'dwarf' tag where Boa constrictors are concerned. Years ago when they weren't on every corner, you could be fairly certain about a boa's genetics and certain subspecies averaged certain sizes, but these days I wouldn't even hazard a guess at most subspecies and/or average sizes. The gene pool is not as clear as it used to be...too many people tracking dirt through it, so to speak, lol.

I will say that judging by the look of the animal, I wouldn't expect 12 feet out of it. I would probably expect around 5 feet, with a possibility of 7 feet or so over the years, but it'll probably stay on the smaller side.

By the way, that's one of the nicest Columbian Rainbows I've seen, colour-wise
quote:
Originally posted by aideen

OK so i managed to post some pics, can anyone help identify species please

aideen Posted - 23/07/2011 : 12:30:13
OK so i managed to post some pics, can anyone help identify species please
aideen Posted - 22/07/2011 : 20:36:20
aideen Posted - 22/07/2011 : 20:35:12
aideen Posted - 22/07/2011 : 20:34:37
aideen Posted - 22/07/2011 : 20:33:07
ptmbradley Posted - 22/07/2011 : 19:38:39
http://www.therainbowboa.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=768

^^^ instructions for posting images.
aideen Posted - 22/07/2011 : 17:35:54
I dont know how to post the pics on here? Help???
gmac Posted - 22/07/2011 : 17:34:50
is best posting photos here to let us have a look and we can give our best opinions
aideen Posted - 22/07/2011 : 17:31:07
Hi Sandi, i know its a bit cheeky but if i email you some pics could you help me identify?
sandi Posted - 22/07/2011 : 16:20:57
Hi aideen, as far as i'm aware the term 'dwarf boa' applies to varieties within the BCI (boa constrictor imperator) species, ie, hog island boas or crawl cay boas, both of these will be slightly smaller than the common BCI. However, there are many crosses and morphs along the way so knowing exactly what you have may not be possible without knowledge of parentage etc. Certain colouration and markings are indicative to certain types though so have a look at some pics of peoples hog islands and others to give you a guide. ptmbradley has just posted some great pics.

As for the iridescence, my boa (common bci) has that, especially after he sheds.

The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000