The Rainbow Boa Forum
The Rainbow Boa Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Rainbow Boa
 Other Boa Species
 Diablo (A little pic heavy)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
IncurableFlirt Posted - 29/05/2012 : 03:33:04
I figured while I am waiting on Marius to complete this latest shed cycle, I would post pictures of my BCI, Diablo. :) I have new ones of my albino BCI too, I just need to get them off of my camera. Anyway, here's D.

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
IncurableFlirt Posted - 12/06/2012 : 02:17:20
Thanks guys! I think he's pretty awesome too. :D He is so chilled out and loves to just hang out with me. I take him to my family's house every year for Christmas...all the kids love him, lol. It's too bad your mum won't allow you to have a BCI, Surrounded, they are AWESOME pets. :)
SurroundedByMadness Posted - 11/06/2012 : 22:08:26
I second that SteGore!
I would love a BCI, but there's no way my mum would allow that in the house! Haha
SteGore Posted - 09/06/2012 : 19:15:25
He's awesome!
Strawb Posted - 03/06/2012 : 21:23:50
Thanks IF. I had her out again today and she was fine. I think next time I'll give her a couple of days after the shed to get her mood all fluffy again.
IncurableFlirt Posted - 01/06/2012 : 20:36:53
:D Sounds like you have it under control and it is possible that she was just experiencing a little crankiness due to her recent shed. :) As long as her sheds are coming off complete, I'd say the humidity isn't too bad and it is great that you provide her with a moss hide. I'd say you are well on your way to having a happy, docile boa. ;) Best of luck with her!
Strawb Posted - 01/06/2012 : 19:48:27
Thanks for the reply. I took her out yesterday and she was a little nervous but didn't hiss or bite. Today I cleaned out her viv while holding her in my hand and she was fine. In fact she seemed to be fascinated by it all.
Her temps are about 90°C basking area and about 26-27°C (80°C)cool end. Humidity is low (35%), but when she's in blue I provide her with a moss hide and she sits in there and even sheds in there. So far all sheds have been complete.
She has plenty of hiding places, but also loves to come out and bask. She's about 8 months old and weighs 278g as of last month. She doesn't look thin by any means, although the rat pups I'm feeding her are too small and I feed her between 2 and 3 once a week. When the pups have all gone I'll get her eating something larger. I always feed her between 10 and 15% of her body weight.
I'm hoping she's back in order now and it was just time of the month as my wife says.
IncurableFlirt Posted - 31/05/2012 : 18:31:34
Thanks Blackcat. :) Strawb, there are a number of things that could be causing your BCI to be a little more aggressive. First, you said she's young...are we talking less than a few months? How is you feeding schedule with her? Is it possible she's hungry and isn't getting enough to fill her belly? If not that, how is her enclosure? What sort of setup do you have her in and how are your temps/humidity? Does she have enough hiding spots to feel safe and comfortable? Aside from those things, there is the possibility that she is just testing you to see how far she can go and what she can get away with. It helps to handle her often (I hold Diablo almost every day, except for feeding day and the day after that) and never show fear in doing so. I never reach for Diablo's head or neck first...I always rub his back and let him know it is just me and he has nothing to worry about before I pick him up. She might be trying to scare you off, hoping you'll leave her alone....don't give in. :D Though the bites are shocking, they usually aren't that bad (pinpricks in your skin at that age) and if you teach her that you won't back off, she should settle down and learn to tolerate your handling.

On a side note, a good ambient temp for your BCI would be about 82 degrees F, but they do need a warmer basking area in the lower 90's. The humidity should stay about 50 to 60%, depending on your location (dryer climes need closer to 60%, while more humid climes could go down to 50% and be fine).

It kinda sounds to me like she got mad because she was going into shed, but since you left her alone and are now wary of handling her due to biting, she's trying to just scare you off. Handling and patience with her should bring her right out of it. :) Best of luck, let me know if I can help in any other way.
Strawb Posted - 30/05/2012 : 07:36:56
I wish my BCI was placid. She was very aggressive about 2 weeks ago and I thought she must be going to shed. Sure enough she eventually did and 2 days after that I took her out and she was still hissing and eventually bit me. She's only young thankfully, but I don't know what has caused this change of behaviour. She used to be so mellow. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Blackcat Posted - 29/05/2012 : 21:03:07
A stunning looking snake, love the third pic down.
IncurableFlirt Posted - 29/05/2012 : 17:33:36
Thanks! :D He's a total ham when it comes to taking pics of him. I could probably take a million and he'd be fine with it, lol. I think that's why I love the BCIs, they have a calm and seemingly patient demeanor. Even my female albino is like that. :)
CDN_Blood Posted - 29/05/2012 : 11:16:59
Nice and healthy looking :)

The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000