The Rainbow Boa Forum
The Rainbow Boa Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Rainbow Boa
 Other Boa Species
 Aphrodite (Really Pic Heavy)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
IncurableFlirt Posted - 31/05/2012 : 18:53:27
I almost forgot that I was going to also post pics of my Albino BCI, Aphrodite. I swear I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached. I got this girl as a rescue back in January of 2010. When I brought her home, she was in deplorable condition; she had mites so bad that they were crusted around her eyes, she was severely dehydrated and very malnourished. The first few pics below show her about a week after I'd had her, still looking pretty rough. I am happy to say that she is now a very happy and well adjusted little lady and has gained considerable weight and shine. :) I named her Aphrodite because from the moment I brought her home, she has made people fall in love with her at how sweet and gentle she is. Even when I was gently scrubbing mites off of her face and eyes with a baby toothbrush, she never once has ever tried to bite me. So here's my darling girl.

Severely dehydrated, malnourished, mite infested.

Very loose skin, but at least the mites are gone.

Sooo skinny, poor thing.

Finally putting some weight on.

Looking much better now.

A healthy appetite, I just don't understand why she wasn't fed well before.

Her first outing. She wasn't too sure about the grass at first.

Finally gaining size and looking great.

I love this pic of her. :D

Despite the "strike" pose, she wasn't being mean. Just wasn't so sure about where I had put her down on the couch.

Colors have lightened a great deal. Still sweet as ever.

Chilling on a pillow.

"Oh, hello. :) "

Thanks for looking!
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
IncurableFlirt Posted - 10/07/2012 : 05:49:51
Awww, thanks so much, Brian. I appreciate the compliments. :)
MrBD1980 Posted - 09/07/2012 : 23:42:02
Can I just say congrats on the success of improving aphrodites life!, great work!! And also just how gorgeous she is....stunner!!

Brian
IncurableFlirt Posted - 09/07/2012 : 22:56:09
Oh, that's wonderful! :) I am so glad this method worked for someone else too, then. I have nothing against the P-a-M, but poor Aphrodite had been through so much in her early days and I didn't want the stress of the P-a-M on her too. Congrats for the no-mites!
SteGore Posted - 08/07/2012 : 22:36:44
No mites.Just paranoid.been clear a while now thankfully. :)
IncurableFlirt Posted - 08/07/2012 : 02:56:28
Do you mean you still had mites after 2 months, or that you were keeping your snakes on the paper towels after two months? :) If your snake still has mites and you have tried this solution, you might want to check out maybe getting some P-a-M (Provent-a-Mite) and following the directions on the bottle. Could be that you have a very serious outbreak and just the water bathing isn't working. :(
SteGore Posted - 07/07/2012 : 18:29:33
quote:
Originally posted by IncurableFlirt

Thank you so much everyone. :) I have really enjoyed helping Aphrodite make a full recovery. She's such a darling girl. rfalla, I don't understand it either. It wasn't like she didn't have a healthy appetite, when I brought her home she started slamming the mice. I have heard that Albino BCIs can be poor eaters, but not my girl. Some people just aren't meant to have animals, I firmly believe that.

SteGore, it was a long process of about a month. When I brought her home, quarantine. I put her on white paper towels with two different PLASTIC (very important) hides and a glass water dish big enough for her to soak in. No wood at all, because that is how mites lay their eggs. I began bathing her immediately and did so every day, soaking her in a lidded tub for 10-15 minutes at a time. Believe it or not, this removed the majority of adult mites (they drown easily). Every day I cleaned her enclosure with a bleach/water mixture, even washed all of her hides and water dish in it. Fresh paper towels every day too (luckily she was small enough I could temporarily house her in a small tub and only used a few paper towels per change). Everyone suggested that I use P-a-M (Prevent-a-Mite), but there wasn't any place local I could buy it, so I looked for more natural remedies. The least invasive one was to simply be diligent, continue to bath and change out bedding/hides and to vacuum and clean the area where her temp tub was at to prevent re-infection.

The worst part of the mites was how bad they had gotten crusted around her eyes. You could just watch them crawling around her eyes and it made me sooooo mad. :( I bought a baby toothbrush (the kind with super super soft bristles) and then when I soaked her, I would gently grab her head and hold her while I scrubbed with the utmost of gentle touch around her eyes to remove those little blood suckers. I did this almost daily in the beginning and she was so sweet, she never once hissed or tried to bite me. Truth be told, I swear she was probably blood deprived and didn't have the energy to fight. :(

After three weeks, any sign of the mites had disappeared, but I continued with the same routine for another week, to be sure that I got rid of any mite eggs that might have been laid by the last of the mites. Since then, she's been mite free and without a hint of chemicals, save good ol' bleach/water to clean only! :)

Cheers, much the same as we did.Exept we also had frontline.And we still got them on paper towels, 2 months after.
IncurableFlirt Posted - 06/07/2012 : 18:33:58
Thank you, Smart Bunny. :) I feel lucky to have found her. My friend wanted me to tell the guy to take a hike when we first went to see her, but I knew in my heart that there was no way possible I was leaving her in that situation. Sad thing is...he had several other pets as well. I don't know what ever happened with him, but I did end up calling our local SPCA chapter and turning him in. Like you, I just don't understand how someone can let an animal suffer like that. He had to know she was starving to death...she was practically skin and bones. Her "enclosure", if it could be called such, was a rubbermaid box about the size of a pencil pouch. He kept her on peat moss (and she had it everywhere, even in her mouth) and there wasn't a water container in sight. He told me she needed to be misted once a day, because "that is how snakes get their moisture". I almost choked. I wanted to scream and pull this guy's hair out and say: She's a reptile, you moron, not an amphibian! :( So, I bought her and brought her home...against the judgement of my friend. I have never regretted it. You couldn't ask for a more gentle, sweet-natured snake. She's curious, happy...a really wonderful girl. :)
smart bunny Posted - 06/07/2012 : 14:21:41
Wow she is gorgeous, and the photos of her when she arrived are just appalling :( How can anyone care so little for an animal?? You clearly saved her from a long painful death, she was so lucky you came along at the right time.
IncurableFlirt Posted - 12/06/2012 : 02:11:04
Thank you so much everyone. :) I have really enjoyed helping Aphrodite make a full recovery. She's such a darling girl. rfalla, I don't understand it either. It wasn't like she didn't have a healthy appetite, when I brought her home she started slamming the mice. I have heard that Albino BCIs can be poor eaters, but not my girl. Some people just aren't meant to have animals, I firmly believe that.

SteGore, it was a long process of about a month. When I brought her home, quarantine. I put her on white paper towels with two different PLASTIC (very important) hides and a glass water dish big enough for her to soak in. No wood at all, because that is how mites lay their eggs. I began bathing her immediately and did so every day, soaking her in a lidded tub for 10-15 minutes at a time. Believe it or not, this removed the majority of adult mites (they drown easily). Every day I cleaned her enclosure with a bleach/water mixture, even washed all of her hides and water dish in it. Fresh paper towels every day too (luckily she was small enough I could temporarily house her in a small tub and only used a few paper towels per change). Everyone suggested that I use P-a-M (Prevent-a-Mite), but there wasn't any place local I could buy it, so I looked for more natural remedies. The least invasive one was to simply be diligent, continue to bath and change out bedding/hides and to vacuum and clean the area where her temp tub was at to prevent re-infection.

The worst part of the mites was how bad they had gotten crusted around her eyes. You could just watch them crawling around her eyes and it made me sooooo mad. :( I bought a baby toothbrush (the kind with super super soft bristles) and then when I soaked her, I would gently grab her head and hold her while I scrubbed with the utmost of gentle touch around her eyes to remove those little blood suckers. I did this almost daily in the beginning and she was so sweet, she never once hissed or tried to bite me. Truth be told, I swear she was probably blood deprived and didn't have the energy to fight. :(

After three weeks, any sign of the mites had disappeared, but I continued with the same routine for another week, to be sure that I got rid of any mite eggs that might have been laid by the last of the mites. Since then, she's been mite free and without a hint of chemicals, save good ol' bleach/water to clean only! :)
SteGore Posted - 10/06/2012 : 11:54:33
How did you deal with the mites btw?
rfalla1980 Posted - 09/06/2012 : 21:36:03
She looks stunning! Well done with the rescue, I've never seen a snake that skinny, great to see she made a full recovery.

I can't understand why people keep these animals if they don't want to look after them. Getting everything right for them is the fun part.

Samsnake Posted - 09/06/2012 : 20:01:53
Wow she is beautiful. Well done for rescueing her too. I would love an albino in the future, aiming for a Royal but will have to save lots of pennies :(
SteGore Posted - 09/06/2012 : 19:16:23
Wow!
IncurableFlirt Posted - 01/06/2012 : 17:19:46
Thanks. :) Yeah, I had never seen a snake in such horrible condition before that. The person I rescued her from was feeding her a fuzzy mouse every month (she could have easily taken large hopper mice once a week), which was just barely enough to keep her alive. He had her in a tiny sweater box on a substrate mixture of sand and coco fiber and was apparently under the impression that snakes, like amphibians, soak their water up through their skin. I was so mad when I saw her condition that I turned him in to the ASPCA for animal cruelty (he had other reptiles, including a full grown Beardie he kept in a 20 gallon tall tank). I don't know what happened after I brought Aphrodite home, but I do hope that he got his animals taken away from him. Some people just weren't meant to have animals, because they don't take the time to find out their needs and requirements for a happy, healthy life. :(
Blackcat Posted - 01/06/2012 : 15:46:44
Some great photos, the first few I was shocked to see such folds of skin - have never seen a skinny snake before.
She has definately gained weight and looks nice and shiny.
She has such a sweet face - love her.

The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000