The Rainbow Boa Forum
The Rainbow Boa Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Rainbow Boa
 Other Boa Species
 Best kind of Boa

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
a2c7 Posted - 23/04/2012 : 19:24:20
Hi guys,

I'm the proud owner of a cornsnake and a kingsnake as I was advised these are ideal starter snakes back when we got them. I love them but in the shop when we got them were a few boas and I fell in love and have never forgotten them.

Problem being I don't really want a massive snake that needs a massive enclosure and is quite simply too big for me to handle. I've heard that certain morphs and types of boas are smaller, but I'm getting a bit lost down the rabbit hole with information.

I've found out that Columbian Rainbow Boas are lovely snakes with a mild (after the initial twitchy stage) temperament that grow to ~5ft for a male. Am I correct?

What puts me off the rainbow boas are: they need humidity which means they're a bit harder work than my fuss free corn and chomp-happy king.

They're nocturnal: I love having my snakes out to handle and my king and corn are active in the evening when we're most active in the house.

All of that said, can anyone recommend another type of boa for me to research, that would only grow to ~5-6ft, be very friendly (willing to deal with a snappy hatchling) and not need the humidity that a rainbow does?

Thanks so much for any advice, information or comments. Like I said, I'm getting a bit swamped with everything that's out there on the internet.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CDN_Blood Posted - 06/09/2012 : 11:41:25
Melamine paint is your best bet for sealing a wooden tank. Just make sure it's completely cured before putting anything back in it.
VXRossi Posted - 05/09/2012 : 23:05:55
I have a female BCI and also two Brazilian Rainbow Boas! One BRB is about 6 foot atm that is the female and she is loving her tank! I have found an excellent way to keep humidity within the exo terra vivariums no matter what size. I just spray it a few times twice a day b4 bed and on wake up. Pretty easy species to look after i think, they dont cause any hassle and i enjoy doing it. My female BRB will need a new vivarium very shortly, roumer has it exo-terra are designing and are on the verge of making a 4ft vivarium available which would be ideal for my BRB. My male BRB is currently living in a temporary plastic tank until he gets some size, humidity and heat are also pretty simple to maintain within this tank aswell. Now my BCI is currently in a 4ft wooden vivexotic vivarium and my pet supplier told me that she will be fine with normal room temperature for humidity. Well my room temperature is dropping below 50 and i cannot really spray in the wooden vivarium as it has not been sealed around the edges so the woodwork will not get damaged over time. If anyone has a solution for this i would be happy to hear it? PS my BCI is incredible and her temperment considering the type of snale she is awesome! :)
sandi Posted - 06/05/2012 : 20:52:06
Cant beat a BCI, but its true, you need to be able to recognise them plus the difference between a female and a male is quite a few kilos too.
a2c7 Posted - 24/04/2012 : 14:06:36
Thanks - will do. I've worked out how much it'll cost to build another viv, rather than buying another viv exotic, and now just have to sort out my finances and see when I could afford one.

I'll keep an eye out on the classifieds as you suggested, thanks again for your help :)
CDN_Blood Posted - 24/04/2012 : 11:23:06
quote:
Originally posted by a2c7

What about something like a crawl cay boa, hogg island boa or a Sonoran?

I'm now looking into Antaresia, so thanks for that information.

The thing with Crawl Cay is that if you don't know exactly what you're looking for, you could end up with a Boa constrictor constrictor, and I've seen them as thick as I am and weighing nearly as much at only 8 feet, so you're really need to do your homework to properly identify what someone might tell you is a Crawl Cay.

Hogg Island (thank your for spelling it properly, btw) boas usually don't get too large, but from the sounds of it they're still a little more than you're looking for as they have at least triple the bulk of a Rainbow boa.

Keep an eye on your local classifieds. I bet you'll see something along the lines of what you're looking for soon enough, and there's great satisfaction in taking on an unwanted snake needing a good home :)
a2c7 Posted - 24/04/2012 : 10:22:42
Thanks for the reply.

What about something like a crawl cay boa, hogg island boa or a Sonoran?

I'm now looking into Antaresia, so thanks for that information.
CDN_Blood Posted - 23/04/2012 : 22:09:24
Your best best is still going to be a Rainbow boa. They're going to meet all your requirements, and it's easy to keep the humidity higher if you keep them in a tub as opposed to a tank.

Another good alternative I can suggest is an Antaresia of any type. They're cheap, they're loaded with personality and they don't get big at all.
a2c7 Posted - 23/04/2012 : 19:26:01
Oops! Using cornsnake terminology - boas give birth to live young, right? Not a hatchling then..a baby!

The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000