The Rainbow Boa Forum
The Rainbow Boa Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Rainbow Boa
 Other Reptile Photos
 Mixed bag

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CDN_Blood Posted - 25/06/2012 : 14:12:40
Here are a few shots from the weekend. Enjoy!

The boyz - Blue and wee Bubba

just Blue

just Bubbles w/fresh paint

Sol

Tanner

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CDN_Blood Posted - 26/06/2012 : 17:40:47
They're not just fast - there is a LOT of power behind that hit. The snake in that video is quite small for a female and is only about 1/2 grown at the very most. I've kept 18 foot Burmese and Reticulated pythons for years and they're nowhere near as volatile as an angry Blood can be, so don't let their stubby looks and pretty colours fool you; they're a very serious animal not to be taken lightly.
IncurableFlirt Posted - 26/06/2012 : 17:23:27
Holy cow, I didn't know how fast they can be! That snake in the video was extremely fast, quite a contradiction to their larger belly size. Thanks for the input and advice, CDN. I think if I ever do get a Blood...it is going to be quite a few years in the future after I've had a lot more experience. At this stage, a snake like that would probably not be such a good idea. :D
CDN_Blood Posted - 26/06/2012 : 11:39:48
I only said that *mine* aren't nippy, but that doesn't mean a lot of them are well-behaved snakes and you most certainly would NOT try feeding a Blood outside it's tank unless you want to make the evening news as a statistic. These are shockingly fast and incredibly powerful animals. They're not a forgiving snake, they have really short tempers, very long memory and they're *very* moody.

If you want something you can handle often or easily, these are the wrong snake. If you want something that'll forgive mistakes, these are the wrong snake. If they're not treated respectfully, you end up with something like this and there's no turning it back into a social animal once this happens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GyiwBq9seA
IncurableFlirt Posted - 26/06/2012 : 04:33:18
Ok, that is good to know, thanks for answering. :) From what you've said, I may try my hand at a Blood somewhere down the road (far into the future when I can sweet talk my hubby, lol!) and just see how it goes. I had a Rosy boa a while back that I ended up selling to a local breeder because after half a year of a sweet nature, she just up and decided to start biting me any chance she got. I tried to work with her and handled her often, but I just got so tired of her cruddy attitude that I gave up. So I tend to avoid the more bite-y snakes. That isn't to say I don't have some experience in bites and handling....it's just that I prefer to enjoy the encounter. :D I can definitely understand the need for respect, though. My big BCI male can be a little aggressive at feeding time, lol. I usually have to give him about 15-20 minutes of settling down before I can put him back in his enclosure. ;)
CDN_Blood Posted - 26/06/2012 : 04:01:11
quote:
Originally posted by IncurableFlirt

...Those Bloods are smoking hot! I love them both, they're fantastic. :) Do you find them to be nippy?...

Mine aren't nippy, but they are very paranoid snakes. The only time they get defensive is if I move too quickly around them, they're just in one of their moods or they scare themselves (which happens quite easily).

They are certainly not beginner snakes, you need to know what you're doing around them and you better respect what they're all about or you *will* see how angry they can get. They have very short fuses and a body really needs to understand what they're all about before attempting to approach one, but these 2 are quite good snakes.

In the 11 years that I've had Blue, he's never tried to tag me unless he's scared himself, and he's a little prone to that. In the 3 years I've had Bubbles, he's reminded me 3 times to slow down around him, but hasn't done that since he started to get a bit of size, which is accompanied by confidence. I've raised both from hatchlings and have only taken the 3 little kisses from the combined 14 years with them.

Bubbles will stand his ground when he feels threatened, and if I push him too far, he'll push back. Blue will always prefer retreat over confrontation.

I've never used gloves or hooks or any other tools to deal with these animals, so that says something about how they *can* be if you respect and understand them. It's usually the people who don't respect and/or understand them that report them as being nasty snakes.
IncurableFlirt Posted - 26/06/2012 : 02:23:26
Holy MOSES! Those Bloods are smoking hot! I love them both, they're fantastic. :) Do you find them to be nippy? I have always thought it would be awesome to get one, but I have heard from numerous people that they are a bite-y species. Sol and Tanner are both gorgeous too. Love them both. Awesome pics!
gmac Posted - 25/06/2012 : 23:41:07
sol is looking absolutely stunning, the bloods what can I say amazing. and loving the tongue shot of the royal. Very cool CDN loving them

The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000