color of BRB: orange or red
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

serpentixus
Snake mite

4 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  08:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to expand my Argentine RB collection with a Brazilian. I like the red colors, the colours that are darker red-brown, rather than orange. I searched a while and I seem to only find orange paler BRB. I'm looking for subadults. My question is: is the orange just a phase in development and will orange one year olds, grow out to a red color? Or will the orange one year olds stay the orange, paler, color during their whole life. Is it any use to search for a red one year old?

1.0 Ball python
1.1 Epicrates cenchria alvarezi
0.1 Elaphe climacophora
1.1 Acrantophis dumerili

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  20:22:09  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kris, orange is more common than red, but red is definitely available. Part of the challenge with picking Brazilians is that an animal's final color does not become apparent until the snake is between 18 and 30 months of age. So if you pick up even a yearling, it could further develop (or, in some cases, dull out). I've had animals do both. If you really want a red snake, you are probably best seeking an adult at least three years old. However, that comes with a catch: no one ever sells their most attractive adults, so a marketed adult will rarely be a stunning specimen. I hope this helps!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

serpentixus
Snake mite

4 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  12:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Snakesitter for your clear answer. They are hard to find abviously. What if I buy offspring from two red shifted rainbowboa's? Will the offspring be more likely to be red rather than orange when they get older? Is suppose it is somehow genetic rather than environmentel influence? Or is it rather a random shift?

1.0 Ball python
1.1 Epicrates cenchria alvarezi
0.1 Elaphe climacophora
1.1 Acrantophis dumerili
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  20:46:05  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No one has been able to map out the genetic vs. environmental drivers of color development with absolutely certainty, Kris. However, buying a baby from a red pair with proven red babies in the past is probably your best bet. I have one pair this year I'm hoping will produce red babies, but they are a first-time couple.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

Edited by - Snakesitter on 14/03/2012 20:46:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000