New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2012 :  22:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having just had Tobago out for a handling, quick few photos and feeding, I have noticed a strange patch on his/her head - please see photo below.
This is the only photo I have got that shows the 'damage'
I have no idea how this happened, s/he shed on 23/07, although in 3 pieces I was not concerned as eye caps and tail tip all ok.

I'm assuming this will disappear after the next shed, or at least get smaller - should I be worried?
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2012 :  23:54:56  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't be worried about it, but I would be searching the tank to see what may have caused it. If there is anything in it with sharp edges, I would remove those items before it does any more damage to itself. It probably wouldn't hurt to put some sort of antibiotic ointment on that, but ONLY do that if you're using paper in the tank rather than substrate, and NEVER use any ointment which has any pain killers in it - those *can* have seriously bad effects or even cause death.

TODD
25 Years of Commitment and Responsibility in Private Herpetoculture
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2012 :  00:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S/he is currently kept in a 12L RUB with paper as substrate, a plastic butter tub with moss in as moist hide, various paper tubes and small boxes as hides, some artificial foliage and of course a water bowl.
I will give it a thorough going over to check for sharp edges.
I just prefer to keep on paper whilst 'small' as it makes it so much easier to monitor pooing.
Can I use an antiseptic jelly that I would normally use (and sold to use) on my horse?
Thank you so much for the reply, much appreciated and stops me stressing too much about Tobago
Off to hunt for the offending sharp 'thing'

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2012 :  12:26:34  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's quite likely that there is some tab type objects on the inside of the tub's lid which could have been the offender.

I don't think I'd use antiseptic jelly - it sounds scary and painful to anything that's raw, so you might just want to let the snake heal itself rather than using that just to be on the safe side :)

TODD
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2012 :  13:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a couple of 'possible' offending rough areas but nothing I would have thought would cause the damage - they have now been smoothed.
Will keep a good eye on the damaged area on Tobago's head and if I think it needs further attention I will drop in to my vets and see what they have got.
Would rather be safe than cause further problems.
Again thanks for the info

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2012 :  17:00:51  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've *always* got time to help intelligent people who use proper English and are willing to learn, just like myself :)

TODD
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2012 :  21:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDN_Blood

I've *always* got time to help intelligent people who use proper English and are willing to learn, just like myself :)

Your help is very much appreciated, and as for proper English I am of an age that txt talk usually baffles me and need the use of a 'child' to translate it.
'Intelligent' may just be stretching things, but very much realise life is one long learning curve.
My views are that you can never know too much and this forum has clearly got some very knowledgable people and I am always grateful when they take the time to answer my questions so that I can 'learn' and hopefully provide my snakes the best care that I can.

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2012 :  00:57:33  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
When my BCI, Diablo, came up with a deep sore on the top of his nose (offending material turned out to be the mesh grate that used to be the lid to his enclosure, it had a couple of sharp edges I was unaware of at the time), I bought me a tube of Neosporin (without pain medicine...as CDN said, it can cause health issues in snakes) and put it on the wound in the morning when I got up and in the evening before bed. I didn't cake it on, but put a smooth covering and kept him on paper towels to avoid the substrate sticking to the antiseptic. It really worked like a charm and his nose has now almost completely recovered the scales and all. :) Needless to say, we replaced his mesh grate lid with a plexiglass/wood lid that my hubby made for me. He was even nice enough to drill the necessary amount of air holes in it for me (which, according to him, was NOT the easiest job in the world, lol!). At any rate, even if you don't use the Neosporin, I think Tobago's head will heal if given proper time. Could he maybe have had it before you got him and you didn't notice?

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2012 :  11:31:24  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcat

My views are that you can never know too much and this forum has clearly got some very knowledgable people and I am always grateful when they take the time to answer my questions so that I can 'learn' and hopefully provide my snakes the best care that I can.

And that right there is the kind of attitude that will make you a fantastic keeper *and* a good person :)

TODD
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2012 :  11:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Incurable - I will get some neosporin from the chemist.
I feel incredibly guilty now and negligent - you were correct, Tobago had that damage when I got him, just looked back on the first photos I took of him/her and a pale patch is clearly visible in the same area.
Makes me feel really bad that I did not notice this until now, but pleased that I keep them on paper - no problem of contamination from substrate.
It is a smaller area now than it was when I first got them, so at least it is improving

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2012 :  13:47:14  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcat

I feel incredibly guilty now and negligent...

Don't beat yourself up over it. We all have to start somewhere, we all make mistakes, we all continue to learn as we go (hopefully), and you'd practically have needed a magnifying glass to see it when you first got it, I'm sure. Chalk it-up to a learning experience and just focus on today and the future :)

TODD

Edited by - CDN_Blood on 30/07/2012 13:47:35
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2012 :  14:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ CDN - Thankyou for your kind words regards making a fantastic keeper, all I want is to be able to 'do' the best for any of the snakes in my care.
With regards to 'beating' myself up - I'm just cross with myself for missing it, can't go back in time.
I agree we all make mistakes, we just need to make sure we learn from them and don't make them again, it will have made me make sure I am super vigilent every time I handle my snakes.
I know s/he has this damage now, it will be closely monitored and treated if needed - which is why I am off to buy some neosporin

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2012 :  01:57:03  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I definitely agree with CDN...don't beat yourself up. That is a very tiny wound on an itty-bitty snake. :) I was going to say that it did look like it was in healing mode (not puss-filled or looking infected at all), so no need to make yourself feel guilty for not having seen it. The important thing is to monitor it now that you know and just do the care now. ;) You're a great snakie mom!

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa

Edited by - IncurableFlirt on 31/07/2012 01:57:49
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2012 :  11:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Incurable.
Tobago was fed 2 days ago, so I can now get him/her out and check on the wound.
This forum is really great - always get 'supportive' advice.
Thanks so much

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2012 :  21:00:28  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great advice everyone! In my experience that type of wound usually heals right up once treated with ointment, though I did recently see a photo of a much worse case for which I recommended a vet trip.

On that same note, I know you will watch it carefully, but be ready for the vet in the (highly unlikely) event it gets worse.

Good luck!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

Edited by - Snakesitter on 31/07/2012 21:01:50
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  12:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks every one
Had Tobago out last night and need my glasses on to see the wound and apply ointment.
I will be 'watching' it very very carefully and if in doubt Tobago will be at the vets.

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000