sidles in looking guilty...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smart bunny
Hatchling

174 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2013 :  21:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, sorry I haven't been on here in ages, got a little addicted to an online game I was playing so didn't have time for my forums lol! I recently returned to TCS and thought I should pop in here as you are probably wondering what happened to Prism

Well there is basically goodish news, if not quite as good as I would have hoped. The live feeding did not work out, we managed to get spiny mice instead of ordinary ones , which have a longer gestation period, only have a couple of babies at a time which are then so much more advanced they have open eyes, fur, and can run around pretty much straight away, so not the helpless pinkies we were expecting lol. They are now household pets much to the joy of the 2 kids (who obviously didn't know anything about them when they were originally intended to be a food source!)

In the end she was getting so thin her skin was wrinkly and she seemed to be losing strength so we ended up *sorry as it goes against advice given here * trying an assist feed and it worked like a charm. I just really want to stress here we absolutely have never done a 'force feed', only assists, but at this current time she is still assist feeding. The most important thing however is that she has now almost doubled her weight and has filled out massively, had a couple of sheds, and is a much stronger healthier looking snake, yay Every now and again we try leaving a feed in her RUB overnight to see if she will take it but no luck so far. I'm sure she will come round eventually though and it's time to try that again next feed time. She is still the loveliest, friendliest of all our snakes and will happily coil around our hands rather than heading straight up the sleeve like the corns!

I will have to see if hubby can get some pics of her soon as we haven't taken any in ages. So, apologies for leaving everyone wondering and I will try to start checking in more regularly again

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2013 :  13:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back
It is great to have news on prism - I had been wondering, but had decided no news was good news
I bet your kids are loving their new furry pets and that you will not be knee deep in baby spiny mice.
I am glad the assist feeding has allowed prism to grow and put weight on, I'm sure the whole eating for her self from scratch will eventually kick in.

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2013 :  20:12:06  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad to hear she is doing well! If assist feeding (which is far less stressful than force feeding, by the way) is what works for her, continue doing that and testing for regular feeding as you have been. Well done, all in all. I look forward to pictures of her now well-filled belly! ;-)

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Hatchling

174 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2013 :  20:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we would have got some pics last week - but when we checked on her she was in blue lol. Still taking her own sweet time over shedding so hopefully she'll emerge some day soon.

Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  21:01:01  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, still looking forward to picts, then! :D

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  05:51:04  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That is fantastic news! I am so happy to hear that she is at least getting some food in her, good on you for stepping in and coming to her rescue! :) I, too, am looking forward to pictures after she debuts her new clothes. :D

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000