New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Magentta
Snake mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  21:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I brought ophelia home today and she is the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen. She looked a little strikey in the shop but have held her since when transferring her to her home (and to show off her beautiful patterns to the OH) so she is now under quarantine away from the corn and starting her week settling in! However I have a few questions as a newbie boa owner so hope you don't mind me asking for a little peace of mind!

1) I have her in a 2ft monk field (temporary as I know how wood warps until I can get a decent sized rub) and she is a little smaller than I imagined (about 1'8") but she seems so tiny compared to this an Im worried it's a little too big! I have a spare fanarium on hand just incase (I like to be prepared)

2) she seems so cold and is staying at her cold hide (which is the largest) and I'm a little worried! Wrm side is 29 c and on a stat and I have her on paper towels for now to observe poop so heat is coming through!

I know I may be overacting as i've only had her not even a day but can't help it! :) I worried like this with dime (the corn) and he did the same and after a few days became obsessed with warm hide! I'm just wondering if this is part of settling in and the long stressfull 2hour journey! I won't bug her or try and worry to much unless he's like this after her week settling plus she was supposed to feed today but I wanted to wait till at least tomorrow for a calmer meal! But can't help being curious! Better safe than sorry right! Just thought i'd ask a second opinion!

On a brighter note OMG how beautiful are brbs! She's so
Much darker than I thought! And her temprent is amazing! Her first mini hold at home she was an angel! And got a good glimpse
Of those rainbow shimmers! :)

1.0.0 corn: Dimebag
0.1.0 corn: Ripley
0.1.0 brb: Ophelia
0.1.0 royal: Amelia
1 strange furry hamster: Sheldon
2 live with my folks doggies: Mildred and mr jones

gmac
Grumpy Scots Admin

United Kingdom
710 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2013 :  13:09:27  Show Profile  Send gmac an AOL message  Send gmac a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on getting this lass.

Yes likely to be just settling in, snakes in general stress quite easily so do need some time to destress. At that size i would add as much cover into the viv ass possible to give that extra feeling of security.

GMac
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2013 :  20:55:41  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Addiction, Magentta! ;-) Congrats on the new girl.

I think Graeme is spot on.

1. "Too much space" is a rumor. With enough cover any size is fine. Remember, if snakes could not tolerate large spaces, they would never survive in the wild.

2. What temp is the cold side? If not too cold she will be fine. She probably just found that hide first and is seeking shelter.

Good luck!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Hatchling

174 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2013 :  15:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey congrats on your BRB Magentta!

Go to Top of Page

Magentta
Snake mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  23:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replays guys sorry I've been so long replying! New house and no wifi Suuucks!
I've since got ophelia (yay decided on a name) a lot more coverage although an going to purchase a RUB this weekend as rub is already warping and not great at holding humidity but luckily i've been off work so able to keep on top but would rather have a better enclosure for those long days when me n OH are at work! Currently panging to hold her as having to extend her settling in period as she has had 2 refused feeds in 10 days! (I know it's nothing to worry about yet but still am lol) and want to make sure she's settled and feeding before handling. But from what I've seen she's a lively gal although has tried striking when protecting her mouse but sadly not fed yet.

I brained the mouse tonight (first time and Waugh that skull crack) and it got her interest right away and a few failed strikes but then no interest! Have left in viv for tonight but not holding hopes up!
Going to try her on a smaller size in 7-10days and in next couple of days try and fine tune her viv temps! I have humidity working fine but feel she may still be settling in and I may need to find what works right for her! She seems to stay in her moist hide which is just on edge of heat Matt so may try turning stat down a little (a degree or two to 27/28) and see how he fairs!

It's so hard as my corn dime has been a dream! Excellent feeder
From the start and no problems! I just want to make sure everything is alright for my little girl so any and all advice greatly welcome!

But apart from that she is a dream! Everything I do a misting and check on her she just wants to curl roud my wrist! Keep having to coax her off even though I want to hold her!

Xx

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Hatchling

174 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2013 :  09:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully leaving it overnight worked, but if not:

If you have seen any of my previous posts you'll have seen that we had a total nightmare trying to get Prism to eat. Sooo here's a great long list of ideas to try lol...

braining, which you've tried
putting in a tiny container with the food overnight (didn't work for Prism but has worked for our hoggy!)
scenting with tuna brine
superheating the food so it's really hot (dip the head in very hot water for a bit just before offering so the head is really hot)
scenting with a rat pink (the rat pink itself was too big - but maybe your BRB would be big enough and may prefer rat?)
taking for a drive (we never got around to trying this one - someone on the corn forum recently said they were about to try this, put their tubbed corn on a shelf just above a washing machine which was on and they ate then, so anything which causes vibrations may work!)
scenting with marmite
scenting with used mouse bedding
defrosting in water so prey is wet
defrosting on the side so prey is dry

When Prism came to us she was only a month old and had apparently had 3 feeds. She didn't feed at all for us for about 2 months, and then it was a live pink we had managed to obtain. Eventually we went down the assist feed route when she was really skinny and weak which we had to persevere with for about 4-5 months before she finally took one we had popped into her hide with her 3 weeks ago, and she ate her third unassisted fuzzy last night, so basically - hold in there and it will happen eventually!!! We normally defrost in warm water for our other snakes, but Prism's we put on a plate on a radiator. Maybe we wouldn't even need to do that now - but it's worked so I'm not about to change anything lol.

Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2013 :  21:01:27  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Marmite? That's a new one to me. Great list though!

Other tips:
Offer the prey at dusk, which is when Brazilians are most active. Make sure the room is dark beforehand to properly simulate nightfall.
Try a f/t chick
If all else fails, offer a live mouse hopper -- these are like crack candy to small Brazilians

Good luck!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Magentta
Snake mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2013 :  19:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the great advice guys! Really helped to put my mind at ease a little! Unfortunately she didn't eat the mouse overnight but have had a busy day trying to improve situation for her!

Have got her in a slightly smaller rub so as to stop warping on wood which I was needing to do anyway! Have got her plenty more cover and surrounded 3 walls of rub so not exposed! Have also moved her into the living room as back room ambient temp is freezing and I know rubs are harder to hold
Heat in plus it's always a steady 20-21 degrees in here during day and drops after 11pm as my dad has just installed us a digital thermostat and have her on opposite side of room from radiator so hopeful cool side ambient will be better now!

Have only just finished (phew busy) so waiting for humidity to rise and opy is happy in her moist hide for now so hopefully she'll explore a little later!

In meantime tomorrow I'm gonna pick up a small mouse and small rats to try her on and have some really smelly bedding from the hammy ( do u think this will be ok or should I try getting mouse from pet store?) to rub prey in and am gonna try that with super hot head in a tub overnight on Tuesday/Wednesday! So fingers crossed she'll be happier and eat!

Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2013 :  16:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think hamster bedding will do the same job as mouse bedding - hope all goes well and she eats for you

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2013 :  21:06:40  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Make sure you don't try feeding her again too soon. It's best to let a week pass between attempts.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Magentta
Snake mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2013 :  19:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SHE ATE! Omg omg she ate she ate she ate YAY!
She struck and coiled then spent about 10mins making sure it was dead, was scared she was gonna leave it but nope! All gone and even got treated to a little yawn at the end! I'm so relived! And wow my first like coil! Beautiful!
She's now back in her rub digesting songingers crossed no regurge!

Thankyou everyone for great advice! It was a nice smelly hot rat pup that tempted her in the end!
:)

Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2013 :  20:31:48  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats, Magentta! Thrilled to hear she ate for you!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Hatchling

174 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2013 :  21:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that was quick, fab news! Glad you didn't have all the problems we did lol!

Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2013 :  14:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant news, lets hope she keeps it up

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Magentta
Snake mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  13:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers everyone!! Looks like she was just testing me in the end. I can now announce she's gone into blue so after she sheds will be able to finally say she's doing everything's she supposed to and get her out for a photo shoot! Hooray!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page