Need help and advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Valvaren
Snake mite

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2013 :  17:46:03  Show Profile  Visit Valvaren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I just took my female brazilian out for a little handling time and notice something wrong, she has a lump on her head, I don't have pictures atm since my fiancee is not home to help me hold her and get some.

I just fed her sunday night and she ate no problem, she has never missed a meal not even while in shed. She is roughly 8 months old, Her humidity is 95-99% and her hot spot shifts between 79-82.

As stated shes never missed and meal and has shown no signs of having any issues. The limp is just between her eyes and has had no signs of pain with its bumped or anything. She has shown no aggression or defensiveness other the her normal behaviour which is just defensive before being picked up.

I'm not quite sure when is first formed since I fed her sunday I don't handle them a few days prior or after. She is fed F/T pinks and I watch her eat and she sustained no bumps or anything.

I don't have a vet around my area that I trust with these little gems, I want to get a feel of what I am looking at before I risk taking them to someone who will more then likely cause more harm then good.

I will try to get pictures tonight, is there anything in the husbandry I should change to possibly help?

www.animalmom.ca

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2013 :  20:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your husbandry sounds fine. Without a picture, however, it is difficult to advise. Do the scales look off? Any puss, bleeding, or anything else odd? Does she flinch when you touch it?

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Hatchling

174 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2013 :  10:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry no ideas, just wanted to wish her all the best and I hope it's nothing serious. Sounds like a vet would be the best bet to me.

Go to Top of Page

Valvaren
Snake mite

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2013 :  18:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Valvaren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry I forgot to check here for replies :( I will post a picture of the bump and then an update from today from the vet visit.

Update :

So Burn just had her vet visit. The vet was fantastic first off, i'm surprised he isn't more well known we were able to have an actual reptile conversation and he really knew his stuff.

He says it doesn't look like anything skull related as the mass is moveable, he isn't quite sure yet that it is an abscess due to the location but that Burn doesn't seem bothered by it at all. My instructions are to monitor it and to take new photos every 5 days to judge growth or shrinkage. Tomorrow is her feeding day, he wants me to video it too see how the lump reacts to the pressure from her eating.

Basically if the lump worsen due to feeding I am to take her back in immediately, otherwise wait and monitor growth, if it shrinks good, if it grows steadily took make an appointment and if it balloon suddenly to take her in asap.

He explained the procedure and what he would like to do as well as how he planned to accomendate her humidity requirements.

Over all he isn't sure what the cause could be since he said she look in fantastic health (Which i'm still beaming over) Said I really known my stuff and was impressed with my knowledge of the species and of general reptile knowledge.

He further encouraged me to pursue my vet tech dream.

All in all i'm happy it doesn't seem to be extremely deadly yet and that their might be a chance it can go away on its own. If not I'm happy I have someone who knows there stuff to help my girl out.

Tomorrow we will she how she handles feeding, and I will upload the video here as well as well as the updated photos as we progress so I can get all of your opinions as well.

Thank you again everyone for being here for me, i've never had a reptile issue before in the 4 years i've been keeping and this really threw me off completely.

www.animalmom.ca
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Hatchling

174 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2013 :  19:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad your vet sounded knowledgeable. Good luck and I hope Burn is OK.

Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2013 :  19:47:41  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Score on the vet side! Fingers crossed it will fade away to nothing.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Nathair2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  14:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fingers crossed for you. She is very beautiful :)

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  21:00:04  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any more news, Valvaren?

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Valvaren
Snake mite

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2013 :  04:03:43  Show Profile  Visit Valvaren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just an updated video of Burn from her sunday feeding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6LVTE97xfk

www.animalmom.ca
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2013 :  20:49:50  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah! A hungry boa is a happy boa! (Unless, of course, you're a rodent. ;-) )

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000