Forest Bark
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nikki
Snake mite

10 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  10:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been using the exo terra Moss Carpet as substrate for my little brb, as much as it looks great, and is easy to clean, Keyser goes underneath it and gets himself stuck :/ daft snake! I've been given a full bag of exo terra Forest Bark, but because its fir bark I wasn't sure on the whole pine thing? its advertised for use with snakes but wanted to check first??? thanx in advance :)

6.4.0 Royal Pythons ( Homer, Mitchell, Sobek, Jovi, Smeagol, Fletcher, Viktor, Tempest, Zeus, Rowntree).....0.0.1 Corn (Midnight).....1.0 BRB (Keyser)

smart bunny
Hatchling

174 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  16:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only found out recently that all orchid bark (a common snake substrate) is actually made from pine chips - but they are dried so do not have any fumes/sap/natural oils etc and it is the sap which is toxic to snakes. I am sure the forest bark is just another name for orchid bark :)

Go to Top of Page

Nikki
Snake mite

10 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  17:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thankyou Smart bunny, I've put it in the viv, mixed with Sphagnum moss and he loves it :)
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  20:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stuck? Wow, first time I've heard that. Kudos to you for doing due diligence and fixing it fast! 'Course, we'd be even more impressed with a picture.... ;-) (Well done!)

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Hatchling

174 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  21:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funnily enough I was in a new shop the other day and saw the forest bark on sale - definitely the same stuff. Also I forgot to say earlier that exo terra is a very well known reptile products manufacturer, so I would trust almost all their stuff (I say almost because I am slightly dubious about some of the decor - the skulls look a bit sharp and have holes which snakes could get stuck in once older). I have loads of their hides!

Glad he is enjoying his new substrate :D

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000