New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tweek
Snake mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2014 :  19:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so my brb is approximately 8/9 months old. I've had her since Christmas eve. She fed twice in January and four times April apart from that she just won't feed. She's put on a grand total of fourteen grams since I had her. She's just not interested in her food. I've tried pinks and fluffs, scenting her food but nope still not interested. I've known fussy eaters before but this is beyond a joke! Anyone got any ideas?

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2014 :  20:46:50  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tweek, the first cause of feeding problems is usually unintentional husbandry issues. What are your temps and humidity reading? Does she have enough hides? Is the viv in a high-traffic area, or around loud noises or bright lights?

The second cause is not warming the food hot enough. Live rodents are very warm, so you have to simulate this by making the frozen/thawed prey piping hot. Some snakes, in addition to temps, require movement, so make the meal "dance" on tongs. Others require privacy and time, so if she does not strike leave it overnight in a darkered room, without a hovering owner. (Dispose of uneaten food the next morning. Never re-freeze and re-feed.)

A very few, however, insist on live prey. Use a live hopper mouse and see how she reacts. Usually even the fussiest eater will go for this favored treat. Warning: anything larger than a small (mice) or pinkie (rats) requires you keep a close eye on it, as a rodent can do immense damage to snake that refuses to feed. Always check back regularly to make sure all is well.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!!!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Tweek
Snake mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  20:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Temps and humidity are fine. She's a very secretive feeder so the only success I do have is when I leave it over night. Its quiet so no one walking past every five minutes. She's not my first brb and by no means my first snake so I know I've got everything spot on. I haven't tried live feeding but as far as I know it's illegal here and the first sign of anything moving and she's hiding. I've known fussy eaters before but nothing like this? I really have no idea?
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2014 :  20:29:20  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trust a government to pass a law making basic behavior illegal. LOL!

Overnight is fine if that is what works. You could also try "brownbagging," where you place snake and meal in a small paper sack that you seal and leave in her enclosure...the close proximity sometimes gets them to eat.

If she's nervous, try blocking off a few sides with background plus adding more in-Viv cover...oddly, you may see her more often if she has tons of places to hide.

Good luck!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000