LGR Hypos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  20:50:53  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At long last, Living Gems Reptiles is pleased to announce its hypomelanistic project.

Way back in 2010, we tracked down and purchased animals from three of the top hypomelanistic lines/breeders on the market. We have slowly and carefully raised these animals to maturity, announcing them only now, once we are poised to deliver babies into customers’ hands.

The LGR hypo group currently has three members.

Ramses
The group is anchored by "Ramses," a full hypo male produced by the breeder who started the whole hypo line, Mike Lockwood. Surprisingly, despite his young age, Ramses traces almost directly back to the founder animals -- both grandfathers were among the line's original stock. While Ramses retains the originals animals’ beautiful light orange coloration, he carries none of their drawbacks: he has never regurgitated, even once. (In fact, except for the occasional shed refusal, he has only refused food once during his entire life.)

Born in September 2010, below is a picture of Ramses at his arrival at LGR, only a tiny one month old at the time:

Below is a second picture of him at his most recent (successful) photo session, aged two and half years (he refused to un-ball for this third birthday shots):

Ramses currently weighs 1704 grams.

Amber
Ramses is supported by "Amber," a highly outcrossed het hypo female. She carries not only the hypo gene, but gorgeous coloration. Born in October 2010, below is a picture of her as a baby at six months old:

Below is a second picture of her at her most recent annual photo session, aged three and a half years:

Amber currently weighs 1779 grams.

Pearl
Ramses and Amber are supported by "Pearl," a second highly outcrossed het hypo female. This girl traces from the infamous (but now relatively rare) Tim Frazier line. As with Amber, she carries not only the hypo gene, but gorgeous coloration. Born in July 2010, below is a picture of her as a baby at five months old. Note the distinctive little oval in her head line:

Below is a second picture of her at her most recent annual photo session, aged three years:

Pearl currently weighs 1851 grams.

Breeding
At LGR, we prefer to give our girls an extra year to grow, on the theory that a larger female can better tolerate the rigors of breeding, and thus deliver a larger and healthier litter for our customers. Neither girl was ready at the start of this year. Ramses, however, was…but more details on how we used that will be given in our next post. Ramses will be introduced to either Amber or Pearl next year, when we should have both full hypos and het hypos available for sale.

Others
We will be adding two final members to the group this year: another full male, and another het female. Details will follow once we find the perfect babies.

As always, thank you for reading.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

gmac
Grumpy Scots Admin

United Kingdom
710 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  21:32:49  Show Profile  Send gmac an AOL message  Send gmac a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cliff, just as i think there isnt anything else you could do to make me go wow, you go and pull a stunt like this.

Fantastic and good luck.

GMac
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2014 :  20:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We try. ;-) Thank you for the great comment!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2014 :  12:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful, but I actually prefer the deeper colours of Amber and Pearl.
Good luck with your pairings and hope all goes well.

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko

Edited by - Blackcat on 27/07/2014 21:38:15
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2014 :  20:31:32  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You might like out other pairings, then, as profiled under the "breeding" forum. But I agree: hypos are not for everyone. I did not like them myself at first sight, but have grown to appreciate them over time.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook

Edited by - Snakesitter on 25/07/2014 20:32:23
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2014 :  21:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have been and had a mooch on the breeding section
It is not that I don't like the hypos, I just prefer the deeper, richer colours of the 'normals'.
Maybe if I ever get the chance of seeing one in the 'flesh' I may change my opinion

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2014 :  20:33:58  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I totally hear you...hypos are an acquired taste!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000