Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2014 :  10:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking about getting some Brazilian Rainbow Boa's.

I've currently got 2 Corn's and a Royal Python. Now obviously the habitats from these to the BRB's are completely different with it needing a humid climate.

Just looking for any suggestions as to what to have in the enclosure, tricks to keeping the humidity up etc.

Also what is the temprement like with them? I've read mixed views online, some saying they can be very tame and calm and some saying they can be aggresive. I'm gathering this is just the same with most snakes, if you handle it regually and treat with respect then it will respect you?

Thanks in advance!

gmac
Grumpy Scots Admin

United Kingdom
710 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2014 :  19:57:46  Show Profile  Send gmac an AOL message  Send gmac a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I shall leave the advice to those that have rainbows, but I shall say welcome along.

GMac
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2014 :  20:49:47  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, Michael! Rainbows are great animals.

Rainbows are born pretty nippy. However, *if* they come from the right source (a private breeder who works with them as babies to tame them down, as we do at LGR), they become people-friendly. Regular, gentle handling is key to maintain that.

I would look for a plastic enclosure (holds humidity and heat best), and avoid anything made of wood or with a screen top. Glass tanks can work, but often need insulation. Use undercage or radiant penals to heat the enclosure; avoid bulbs. A large water bowl, moisture-retaining but mold-resistant substrate, and moist moss hide will go a long way to keeping your humidity up with minimal work.

Please let me know if I can help further!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2014 :  21:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Reptile shop near me has 2 Female CR09 BRBs. Very tame and healthy from what i can see.

Im not sure if its the decision to get a 5 year old snake, or whether to buy them a bit younger... oh the choices!

I suppose the benefit to getting them would be i could get a adult male at a later date and breed them...
Go to Top of Page

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2014 :  20:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decided to buy younger, least I can see them grow then.

Put a deposit down on a male and female CB13 BRBs, ready to collect once the enclosure is set up.

Went for a glass enclosure in the end, ill be removing the screen top and applying a perspex roof and sealing it down.

Brought everything then realised I didn't buy a water bowl! Trip to the reptile shop during the week :p
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2014 :  19:19:03  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the pending arrivals, Michael! The other advantage of buying young is that you get full care records for the animal (at least if the breeder is any good). When making your new top, remember that fewer holes is better -- one can always add more, but removing them isn't easy.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook

Edited by - Snakesitter on 27/10/2014 19:19:17
Go to Top of Page

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2014 :  10:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh i've been sent copies of the care records already with feed/shed records etc already.

Regarding the holes, i'll see what the terrarium is like when i recieve it (should arrive today). I'd prefer vents at the back low down. But may need to put them at the top. Any advice on how big the holes should be at the top should i do them their?
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2014 :  19:26:22  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The less ventilation with this species, the better. Too much air flow allows your hard-won humidity to seep right out of the tank. If the built-in vents are large, you should partly cover them.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2014 :  11:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Set up most of the tank last night. Just got the back ground to put on tonight, and set the water bowls and the moist moss hide tonight and seal the perspex sheet to the top and we're good to go! Snakes are due to be picked up on Sunday :)
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2014 :  01:26:05  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Woot congrats! Looking forward to picts after they settle in!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2014 :  15:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both seem have settled in nicely. Plenty of hiding spaces for the both of them. One seems to be a bit of an acrobat and the other seems to like the solid ground! Will get some pics when I attempting to feed them on Tuesday once they've had time to settle in and de-stress from the drive and new home.
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2014 :  20:24:30  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great news! I look forward to your pictures!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2014 :  10:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so this is the male. Seems to be the acrobat of the pair.

And him feeding

This is the female.

And her on her first feed

Both very calm and tame, very easy to handle and seem to both be happy together and not bothered by each other.

Both struck for the food first time (both of which made me jump!). Seem to feed slightly different to my corns and python, of which i cant even get the food into the container before they're trying to get at the food. The BRB's seem to sit and watch for a few seconds getting the scent and then go for the rat.

Had a bit of trouble keeping the heat in the tank to start with so i've insulated the back and sides with cardboard which seems to have done the trick.

Now, both of these are 50% Possible Het Hypo's. Now i have absolutely no idea what that means, so any info you have on that would be much appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2014 :  20:29:10  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rainbows are ambush predators, so your observations are normal. They sit and wait for their meal to come to them. I wish beer worked like that.

Instead of cardboard, try a material called "Reflectix" (if avilable overseas). It's like bubble wrap coated in foil. Just watch for temp spikes after adding it.

"Hypo," short for "hypomelanistic," means a snake displays less black pigment. Both genes for that trait, hwever, must be hypo. If only one copy is, the animal is said to be "het" for hypo. A "50% possible" het means there is a 50% chance that animal is het for hypo. Does that make sense?

Cheers!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2014 :  13:08:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhh that explains why they wait instead of coming to the food.

Cardboard didnt seem to be doing a great job, its helping to stabalise the temprature, but the heatmat is literally on constantly to keep it heated. Plus its a bit of an eyesore.

Reflectix seems to be a bit expensive, having a look online, i've found radiator reflector foil which seems to be exactly the same thing and its only £6 for a 470mm x 4m roll so will do the whole tank and more! Will be picking it up after work today and giving it a shot.

Think i understand, basically a 50% chance that when they get older the black pigments with fade?
Go to Top of Page

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2014 :  14:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so that didnt work, tanks sitting at a constant 20°C throughout. Any other ideas?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000