Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Starz789
Snake mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2015 :  23:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought I would introduce myself , I'm Jo
I've recently become owner to a 7 month grouchy tempered girly rainbow boa...who seems to just tag and focus her grouchy ness on me. Really hope she starts chilling out haha ! I have 2 corns whom I adore .

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2015 :  20:41:58  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jo, and welcome to the forum! It's a bit slow these days, but we love to see new people post and help them out.

Rainbows are usually only testy when they have not been acclimated to people and regular handling, so check with the breeder/seller to see how often she was picked up. It may just be a slow process of getting her used to what should have been done since she was a baby. We're happy to give tips and advice as you work on this.

In the meantime, how a picture of the little lady?

Again, welcome aboard!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

Edited by - Snakesitter on 20/02/2015 20:43:01
Go to Top of Page

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2015 :  10:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coming from Corns/Royal Pythons myself to BRB's I was a bit sceptical hearing about there temperament, but I must say, I've never had a problem with mine, been hissed at once in the 6 months I've owned them. Never any trouble picking them up etc. But as Cliff said above, it's all about them getting used to you, once she knows you're not a thread, she will hopefully calm down.
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2015 :  20:27:47  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They have an unfortunately persistent reputation as being "nippy"...due to, I suspect, the result of poor breeders selling untamed babies.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Starz789
Snake mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2015 :  22:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, ivana tinkle was with a male round about the same age in the same tank, I took her from a friend of a friend who says she never bit him....I really dont believe it tbh. The male did go to another person but I've ended up with him tonight too since they lost interest (this really bugs the crap out of me)

Ivana still attacking the life out of me everytime I put my hand in to change the water and she gape's at me when I'm near which is understandable if she feels threatened.
When she latches on I cannot get her off apart from using a little bit of vinegar and she always goes for the same hand too.

Now if you could be soo kind to direct me how to post a pic of the grouch princess , will gladly do so if I still have fingers left
Go to Top of Page

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  09:32:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way I've posted pics on here is by uploading them to photobucket and then using the image link with [ img] [ /img] either side of it (without the spaces in the [ ]

Edited by - Michael H on 27/02/2015 09:32:41
Go to Top of Page

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  09:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, she doesnt like you in her enclosure, have you had her out yet? If so, does she calm down once out?
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  21:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Starz, Michael is correct on posting picts.

You are describing an animal that feel very threatened for some reason. Whether it is just nervousness, cage aggression, or a general bad attitude, however, will take some time and testing to sort out.

Does she act better once out? As in, does she calm down and act like a pet snake once away from her home for a bit?

Latching on and not letting go is typically a *feeding* reaction (as opposed to a drive-the-predator-away reaction). Has that hand picked up something she might regard as food? If you wash it thoroughly before reaching in does that make a difference? What about if you rinse it with rubbing alcohol (then dry)?

The only way to ever break her attitude is through persistent, regular, gentle handling. Keep session short, and don't push every day, or the day before/two days after feeding. If you need to wear gloves during the acclimation period, do so...but (though age helps) she is unlikely to ever fully calm down without that exposure.

Good luck!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Starz789
Snake mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2015 :  12:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[URL=http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/Jols789/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150119_230824_zpsmyj2vhpn.jpg.html][/URL]

This is first meeting where I made the mistake of touching her poo with sorting her tank up, she smelt her rat through it .

I always wash my hands before I handle her sometimes she's fine when out but no sudden movements or she turns. Just yesterday I managed to take her out with no probs just yesterday. I put my top in and she finds security with that but if I change my perfume she can go nuts and start rearing up with added striking.

Go to Top of Page

Starz789
Snake mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2015 :  12:37:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[URL=http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/Jols789/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150202_211931_zpswdpyfbnr.jpg.html][/URL]
This is ivana playing nice and having a drink.
Go to Top of Page

Starz789
Snake mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2015 :  12:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[URL=http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/Jols789/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150124_165634_zpsca4za3ro.jpg.html][/URL]

She's all she and timid in this one , the difference in corns and boa's is massive !
I just didn't want something bad to happen to them or being put in the wrong hands.
Go to Top of Page

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  11:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May just be the pictures but she looks huge for a 7 months old! Are you sure on her age? Mine are about a year and half and about half the size of that!

The different scent will throw her off definately as she will regard you as someone she isn't used to. Probably best to either no wear perfume while handling her, or wear the same one so she can get accustomed to it. But as Cliff said, regular short handling and she will hopefully calm down.
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  02:21:37  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She looks good, Starz! I agree she would be very large for a seven-month-old….I'd bet closer to a year or year and a half, depending on how heavily she was fed. Touching her dung is unlikely to remind her of rats; more probably, she just felt in was an intrusion into her territory. She should calm down with time and persistence. :-)

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Starz789
Snake mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  08:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought she must be older too but the guy swore she was 7 mnths, once the little guy settles in i'll get pics of him....he's tiny compared to ivana Haha.

Not sure on heavily she was fed but she only gets a rat pup once a week from me , sometimes she turns her nose up at it , still think she's preferring my digits with the heat that comes off my hands pmsl.
Go to Top of Page

Starz789
Snake mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  08:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[URL=http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/Jols789/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150215_224927_zpsy7geg8su.jpg.html][/URL]

Bath time
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  20:38:37  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the reasons she may be grumpy could be hunger. Get a weight on her, and we can tell if one rat pup is enough food.

And yeah bath time! :-)

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page