Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brittany
Snake mite

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2015 :  07:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

This is the third week in a row that I've tried to feed my BRB Iris (female, about 5' long, roughly 6.5 years old), both live & frozen, without success. She is shrinking away from the prey, clearly uninterested. I am concerned and need advice.

Her tank is glass (40+ gals I believe, it's about 4' long and 16" wide) with a screen on one side of the top and a thick acrylic plastic sheet to cover the other, all of which I keep covered with a thick flannel sheet, folded over.

I use a radiant heat panel on the rear wall (attached to the outside of the tank) with a reflective piece of Styrofoam (taped behind it) to direct the heat into the tank. Up until just recently, this was the only heat source I had, and the ambient temp usually stays around 80 degrees F. I do have a small UTH for her but until just recently I did not ever actually turn it on (with the exception of winter months).

Her humidity levels are typically above 60%, I try to keep it around 70-80% as best I can. Recently I've been away at college (an hour away) which meant I couldn't mist her tank as much, so I set up a humidifier. I provide her one tupperware with a hole in the lid for her humid hide.

She does have a large water bowl. I use newspaper and moss and cypress mulch for her substrate. I give her fresh water as often as I can think to do it (once a week lately since that's how often I could manage to come home during school). I spot clean her tank when needed, and fully clean every maybe two or three months.

I just purchased an infrared thermometer to check the bottom of the tank temp - it now reads 87 degrees F on the warm side.

Last week when I tried to feed her, she was wheezy, not constantly, just two or three times I could hear her breathe. Today I did not hear that when I took her out. She appears healthy & has never refused food but I want to be sure I resolve the issue before things get worse. I called the local reptile store and they said it was probably too cold for her (so I'm monitoring that), and that it's breeding season, so maybe she's... stressed(?)

I will rearrange her tank for a more optimal set up, but would you advise boarding her to see if she'll feed or take her straight to a vet? Also, I have never had a UVB lamp - is it necessary? Her tank is in my bedroom, not close to direct sunlight, though I do take her out every now & then & she is pretty docile.

Suggestions are appreciated! She has not had issues until now which is why I'm worried. I've been doing my reading but sometimes advice is much faster & direct.

Thanks so much, apologies for the novel, just wanted to put all the info out there to lessen the amount of questions.

Here's a photo of her tank:

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2015 :  20:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brittany, lower those temps. A reading of 87F is *way* too warm for a rainbow boa, and can cause illness. The proper gradient is 72F cool side to 82F warm side. The humidity should be 80% or above. Covering the screen portion with extra plexiglass should help, as would providing a moist moss hide. UV lighting is not necessary with this species. Your tank size, substrate, and water bowl all sound fine.

The wheezing, however, concerns me more. That *could* indicate a minor issue like stress or a bit of stuck shed in her nostril. It could also indicate a budding respiratory infection, and refusal of food from a formerly regular eater makes me wonder as well. Are her mouth and throat clear when (gently) opened? Is there any sign of spittle around her mouth or nostrils? When gently picked up and held, is her breathing clear again? While I do not mean to scare you, respiratory issues are very dangerous with this species, and despite years of care over dozens of snakes, I've never managed to save one that came down with one. Catching it early may help. I would consider a vet appointment in this case. They will want to check for not only the signs I outlined above, which catch upper tract respiratory infections, but also lower tract infections. Hopefully it is all a false alarm...but I'd rather be wrong than take chances.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on the patient!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2015 :  14:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You sure humidity needs to be 80% + Cliff? All the reptile shops I've been to and spoken to about BRB's is that humidity typically needs to be around 65-75% with a humid moss hide for them to go to should they want a higher humidity, which is how I've got my set-up now.

With regards to your problem Brittany, any other strange behaviour apart from not eating? I have a corn that s rather fussy eater, won't strike and very rarely feeds when people are in the room. I tend to leave the mouse in with him and he'll usually leave it for a good 10-15 minutes before he takes any interest.

As Cliff said, 87F seems a rather high temprature. Mine are 83F on the warm end and 75F on the cool end.

My set-up is similar to yours with the glass tank so know how much of a pain it can be to moderate temprature and humidity. Being glass it loses its heat easily. I had a screen roof previously and it was nearly impossible to keep the humidity high enough so I took it out and replaced it with a perspex roof and makes life so much easier!
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2015 :  20:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Michael -- some great notes!

A good way to temp-buff a glass tank is to line a few sides with insulation such as "Reflectix," sold at hardware stores (at least in the US...I'm sure the UK has an equivalent though). It also gives the animal a bit more privacy, which makes them feel more secure.

As for humidity, yes, I'm absolutely sure. I've heard stores say 90F is a good thing, too. ;-) Remember this species is a rainforest species, so high humidity is a daily occurrence. (And babies need even more, 90%+.)

As Michael noted, replace the screen lid and life will be easier!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  12:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely no idea how I'll get above the 70% mine sits at then! The perspex roof has next to no holes in it and the temprature is sitting comfortably at what it should be. May Need to get a decent fogger that pumps the fog through a pipe into the tank rather than one that the one I had which sits inside the tank.
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  20:34:50  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Michael, a larger water bowl (more surface area for evaporation) and/or a moist moss hide (evaporation again) may do it. The hide in particular will give the animal a higher-humidity area to retreat to, in addition to helping add moisture to the air.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Michael H
Snake mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  14:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will give the larger water bowl a go, as for a moist hide. I have a RUB with moss in which is more humid than the rest of the terrarium
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  20:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good plan! Please keep us posted.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Brittany
Snake mite

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  04:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa, I need to check this more often!
I never noticed any other strange behaviors and she had clear nostrils and throat. Still monitoring her temps and heat. I am looking into a larger water bowl.

Thank you all for the advice, she did at last eat again, and I plan to feed her again tomorrow night. I am very relieved. I placed a frozen (er, thawed) mouse in her tank before I went to bed and it was gone in the morning. I will be feeding her frozen from now on...
I had been feeding her in a separate box all these years, which I understand now is unnecessary. It was just strange to me that after 6+ years she suddenly had issues, when things seemed fine. BUT I'm taking it as a chance to make things better!

I'll look into the Reflectix and Perspex! Also, I have lowered the temps, but was concerned they were too low. So to be sure, it should be lower 80s? Also, would a larger UTH be beneficial? Mine is currently only large enough to fit directly under her humid hide. Does anyone else provide more than one hide?

Edited by - Brittany on 05/06/2015 04:55:30
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  21:02:13  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Brittany! Glad to hear she is eating again for you!

Every one of us, no matter how long we've kept, can always improve a bit -- even s breeders!

The warm spot should be about 82F, and the cool side 72F. You can increase the size of your UTH is you like, but so long as she has access to at least one full-body hit spot it is probably a luxury rather than a necessity. Watch temps *carefully* when/if you add the Reflectix.

I only offer one hide, but it's immense (stuffed with moss so they can move about and still feel pressed against something). Mine also use the spot behind the water bowl (also immense) to hide. Many people offer both warm and cool side hides, and it certainly cannot hurt.

Please keep us posted!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Brittany
Snake mite

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  23:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, will do!
Go to Top of Page

flaboye
Hatchling

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  12:58:46  Show Profile  Visit flaboye's Homepage  Send flaboye an AOL message  Send flaboye a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Brittany, if my rainbow ever shows disinterest when I introduce the food, (which is rare) I will just put it near her and she usually grabs it soon enough. Sounds like everyone got you going on temps and humidity, so hopefully all is well! Heya everyone, been a while since I stopped by !

0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow
1.0.0 Hypo BCI
1.0.0 Columbian RedTail
1.0.0 Great Pyrenees
0.0.1 Armadillo under house
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2015 :  20:23:44  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OMG look who stopped by! Long time no see, hope all is well!

Brittany, any progress on feeding?

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Brittany
Snake mite

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2015 :  06:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey! Yes, she started eating again. I'm feeding her frozen (er, thawed) in her tank from now on :]
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2015 :  20:49:26  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good news!!!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

flaboye
Hatchling

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2015 :  00:23:22  Show Profile  Visit flaboye's Homepage  Send flaboye an AOL message  Send flaboye a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear it Brittany sounds like all is well!

Heya Cliff! It's been a long time that's for sure. I've been spending a few hours going through the BOI on fauna site today, hadn't been there since April of 2014, wow. Like to see how some of those things play out.

Hope everything is going well with you too. Might get in touch with you for another rainbow. I let my BCI spend a lot of time with the rainbow now a days as they seem to love each other so much, lol. Always cuddled up to each other.

In fact it's their play day, I have 3 snakes to bring out and spend some time with.

Talk to you later!
Joe

0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow
1.0.0 Hypo BCI
1.0.0 Columbian RedTail
1.0.0 Great Pyrenees
0.0.1 Armadillo under house
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly