New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shinslayer19

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  21:09:52  Show Profile  Send Shinslayer19 an AOL message  Send Shinslayer19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is the female rainbow I got that I am not sure about what kind it is. If some one could help me out that would be great. This is the only picture I could find of her. I still can't find my camera.

oakleyman18
Hatchling

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  23:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely looks like a Coloumbian to me...

*SHINES A LIGHT IN THE SKY*...... CLIFFE?!

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB'10 "Jade"
1.0.0. Normal Cornsnake CB'00 "Camo" _RIP_
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender Cornsnake CB'11 "Amber"
0.0.1. Spider in the bathroom
Go to Top of Page

Shinslayer19

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  23:08:25  Show Profile  Send Shinslayer19 an AOL message  Send Shinslayer19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is what I got her as so that is awesome. Also has anyone hybridized a Columbian with a Brazilian? I have heard a couple of rumors about it, but haven't had anything substantial.

Edited by - Shinslayer19 on 30/01/2011 23:08:53
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  00:34:47  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That is one gorgeous Columbian it is a stunner you will defo have to post up more pics of that beauty .
Go to Top of Page

Shinslayer19

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  07:52:21  Show Profile  Send Shinslayer19 an AOL message  Send Shinslayer19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I will. As soon as I find my camera. I will put my Brazilian on here as well.
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  11:07:21  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shinslayer19

I will. As soon as I find my camera. I will put my Brazilian on here as well.

Thats great news didn't know you had a brazilian as well , do you know the sex of your Columbian and your Brazilian ? "It is possible to breed the two rainbows together"
Go to Top of Page

Shinslayer19

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  19:51:48  Show Profile  Send Shinslayer19 an AOL message  Send Shinslayer19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I got the colombian because she was a female and I got the brazilian from a reptile show here. The brazilian is a male, and that is the plan.
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  23:17:11  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats good to hear
Go to Top of Page

Shinslayer19

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  02:11:46  Show Profile  Send Shinslayer19 an AOL message  Send Shinslayer19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Also can anyone direct me to a good breeding info about columbian and brazilians. Mainly columbians. I can find brazilian breeding facts. I need to know what weight and what length they should be for safe breeding.
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  10:01:56  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also can anyone direct me to a good breeding info about columbian and brazilians. Mainly columbians. I can find brazilian breeding facts. I need to know what weight and what length they should be for safe breeding.

I will try to find for you but may not be accurate so another member will have to confirm it is the right information given.
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  10:08:20  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi i managed to find one for you on this forum please Click Here.

Once on the link if you scroll down to the section :

Breeding
Columbian Rainbow Boas should be of a good age and weight before they are allowed to breed to avoid problems. I would recommend that the minimum requirements for a female to breed would be at least 3 to 4 years of age, 5ft in length and 1400 grams in weight. Columbian Rainbow Boas are oviviparous.

Sexing
Columbian Rainbow boas can be probed to determine sex, but this should only be done by an experienced keeper or vet. Males tend to have larger spurs near the entrance to their vent, but this is not a 100% accurate way to determine sex.

Brumation
Brumation (cooling your snake down for winter) is not always necessary for breeding of Columbian Rainbow Boas, since Columbian Rainbow Boas mate through the winter months. Whilst the male and the female are co-habiting it may be useful to lower the temperatures a little at night and allow them fewer hours of light during the day, to mimic the conditions they would experience in the wild during the mating season.

Mating
In the wild the Rainbow Boa mating season is usually between October and March, so the autumn is a good time to introduce your male to the females vivarium for copulation. Columbian Rainbow Boas do well when a female is left with multiple males. If the copulation is successful, the female will become gravid (pregnant).

Gravidity
Females may go off their food whilst being gravid, but should still be offered small prey items just in case. Gestation averages at about 6 months, with females becoming increasingly large at the back end of their bodies. Do not disturb your female while she is giving birth to the hatchlings, as this could upset her and increase your chances of still borns. Remove the hatchlings as soon as they are born to avoid the mother mistaking them for unfertilized slugs and eating them. Columbian Rainbow Boas give birth to approximately 12 to 15 young, but it is not unknown for some females to produce up to 30 if the conditions are right.

Hatchlings
Hatchlings will require their first feed a week after their first shed, which should be around a fortnight after birth. They tend to be a little nippy at this stage, so regular handling is needed to help tame them down.
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  20:01:17  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw a light in the sky? ;-)

Looks like a Columbian to me.

I would urge you *not* to cross-breed them. People buy each subspecies for different reasons, the babies will be hard to market, and they spread lots of genetic risk throughout the rainbow boa market. While you may be honest with the babies' buyers, who is to say that every buyer will, and that any pairings resulting from those babies will have the same disclosure and tracking? In other words, it raises the risks of 75% Brazilians-25% Columbians being sold as Brazilians, and thereby contaminating that gene pool. Sorry to be a downer, it's just my (rather strong) feeling.

Beautiful animal though!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Shinslayer19

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  21:13:15  Show Profile  Send Shinslayer19 an AOL message  Send Shinslayer19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It isn't "contaminating the gene pool" I am not releasing them into the wild. They are being kept as pets and being bought for the purpose of having and enjoying owning a snake that they find attractive. If you are worried about some one trying to make a buck off a hybrid brb\columbian, you need to start looking at het. ball pythons and possible hets. People make a killing selling normal ball pythons as hets. Or, what about dogs? Dogs are mutts these days and those are the dogs every day people keep. Pure breds are great for the specific thing they were bred for. Many people who breed purebred dogs say that mixed breed dogs muddy the gene pool. You know why most of them say that? Because an English mastiff that has been crossed with a german shepard, doesn't have hip dysplasia and people will stop paying so much for purebred mastiffs. that kinda pisses the people off who are purebred mastiff breeders. Snake hybrids are not a bad thing, if it was an animal that is endangered or is the kind of animal that bonds with a mate, i agree, hybrids are a bad idea, even in captivity. When it comes to non-endangered species and in a controlled breeding habitat, it isn't a big deal. They get ball python spider morphs by inbreeding the snakes to the point of retardation. i find that much more unnerving than a woma\ball hybrid that doesn't have head wobble, shakes or eating problems like the spider balls do. There are people out there who enjoy hybrids, me being one of them. I will refrain from posting anything about it on this site though because you object.

btw I am not really looking to market them. I dot his for myself. If some one wants a baby as a pet I would be glad to help them out, but rainbows are not the market for snakes unless you are on the ground floor with the new morphs.
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  21:42:23  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are *impressively* well informed, Devin, and make a good case. As I noted above, one of my concerns is the eventual loss of tracking info, as future owners cease to communicate full background on exactly what an animal "is" genetically. Due to these species' quick breeding cycle, high litter sizes, and the difficulty of determining what is exactly what once you get past the 50/50 mark, I feel it's a very legitimate concern, and quite different than dogs. However, I can't stop you, and you sound like you are both aware of and willing to control that issue anyway -- huge props for that.

By no means should you refrain from talking about your project on this site -- it's a free country (portal?), and I'm hardly the boss of it.

As for rainbows not being the market, I think they are better positioned than most realize, if you target it right. But I guess I'll find out soon, huh? ;-)

Best regards,

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Shinslayer19

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  22:01:32  Show Profile  Send Shinslayer19 an AOL message  Send Shinslayer19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I must admit, that was not the response I was expecting. i was getting ready to back track and apologize and swear not to do it. I have seen forums tear themselves apart over the topic of hybrids. The reason I avoided the tracking topic was because I didn't have any retort to it. I don't know that much about the different species of rainbows I only know of about 4 that are commonly kept. I know that to an untrained eye they can be confusing. I have some friends that have some guyanan rainbows and their female looks a lot like my columbian female, just a subtle shape difference. Well I will just say rainbows are not the market where I am. I am the only person I know within a few states that keeps them here besides the friends with the guyanans. They don't even really like their guyanans they never hold them.....If they didn't want an arm and a leg for them I would buy them from them. I am sure there is some one outside of my probably limited knowledge of everyones pets here. I just know when I search for my areas top breeders of reptiles, only a couple have brbs and no other rainbows unless they get lucky. It will be a while before she is breeding sized she weighs 482 grams at the moment, and her possible mate weighs 772 grams. So there is plenty of time for me to back out or get a female brb. the columbian kinda fell in my lap and i was glad she turned out to be a female. So, I guess, thanks for not being a close minded ass(i hope swearing isn't a no-no on this site if it is sorry) Definite props to you as well.
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  23:05:21  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I must admit, that was not the response I was expecting. i was getting ready to back track and apologize and swear not to do it.

I could live with that… (said in humor!) Don't get me wrong, I'm not a sudden fan of the idea...but it's not worth a war over.

quote:
The reason I avoided the tracking topic was because I didn't have any retort to it.

There is no good reply to it -- that’s the problem, Devin. No matter how educated and careful you as the breeder may be, and no matter how carefully you preach to any buyers/giftees, one of those babies will eventually wind up with someone who decides to breed it, and from there the genetic clock starts ticking. :-(

quote:
I know that to an untrained eye they can be confusing.

Agreed, and that is what I was hinting at when I mentioned “past the 50/50 mark”….

quote:
So, I guess, thanks for not being a close minded ass(i hope swearing isn't a no-no on this site if it is sorry) Definite props to you as well.

LOL! Thanks for being educated on the issue, willing to listen, and (most of all) willing to take precautions. I still wish you wouldn’t do it, but I can only educate and delay, not prevent.

By the way, I'd be more than happy to help you locate a female Brazilian or male Columbian if that'll divert your attention. ;-)

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000