8 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  03:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sey should of put this in the other boa :(
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  06:59:01  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If you have a mesh screen lid, that is 99% of your problem right there. Try closing off a good portion of the lid with aluminum foil or by using a damp towel placed over about 4/5 of the lid (you want to leave about an inch and a half for air exchange). If you don't have a mesh lid, then I would suggest getting yourself a bigger, wider based water dish. Also, you should know that CHEs are very well known for drying out the ambient air. They work good to heat stuff, but dry stuff out too much too quickly. Do you have an under tank heater or heat tape beneath your setup too? If so, you could try removing the CHE to see if that helps with humidity. I keep my BCI's humidity at about 60% to 65%. I removed my screened top and made myself a custom plexiglass/wood lid with air holes drilled in...works like a charm at keeping the humidity perfect. :)

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Jayclk
Snake mite

8 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  13:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi
no its a wooden viv with with glass front and just a CHE so cant put any heat under viv and was told not to use heat mat inside, the water bowl i have is big.
hmmm not sure what to do now
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  16:55:50  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You could also get a towel specifically for keeping in the viv and keep it damp. If you don't care for that idea, you could buy a large hide and convert it to a moist moss hide to provide your BCI a place to hide if it needs the moisture. Just purchase some Sphagnum moss, wet it down and wring out excess moisture (it should be damp, but not dripping wet), then stuff this into the hide and provide enough space for your snake to climb in. :) Check it every few days to make sure it is staying damp and adjust moisture as needed.

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Jayclk
Snake mite

8 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  03:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IncurableFlirt

You could also get a towel specifically for keeping in the viv and keep it damp. If you don't care for that idea, you could buy a large hide and convert it to a moist moss hide to provide your BCI a place to hide if it needs the moisture. Just purchase some Sphagnum moss, wet it down and wring out excess moisture (it should be damp, but not dripping wet), then stuff this into the hide and provide enough space for your snake to climb in. :) Check it every few days to make sure it is staying damp and adjust moisture as needed.

Ah thanks a lot I am liking both of them ideas cheers for that I'll give one a go
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  21:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Moist hides are the way to go, Jayclk. That way, even if the cage levels drop, the hide level should stay up.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Jayclk
Snake mite

8 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  07:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers guys thats what ill do
Go to Top of Page

coupastar
Snake mite

5 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  02:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have tried everything everyone is talking about without trying a heat mat i had 100 w now i went to 75 w and it still drys it up i spray my tank 5 times a day next paycheck im getting a mister can order them online for $80 in clud tax getting that humid level up is a job its self
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  21:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The bulb is the likely problem, not the lack of a mister. I would address the bulb first.

Good luck!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000