Help With Adult Housing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rfalla1980
Snake mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2014 :  12:40:53  Show Profile  Visit rfalla1980's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I have a BRB who is growing like a weed and I'm fast approaching the point where I need to get sorted for a fully grown snake.

I currently have a 4 x 2 x 2 made from melamine which has been water sealed for humidity regulation. Nothing is warping and so far everything seems fine there.

My concern is heating. I'm currently using a heat mat with a stat but I'm concerned about thermal blocking becoming an issue with her adult weight. Due to the fact that I'm using a melamine viv I'm restricted with my heating options. I can't use heat tape or heat pads and I'm reluctant to use bulbs due to the effect on humidity.

Any suggestions on how best to go about this?

Thanks,

Rory

0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Lolita
0.1.0 Pastel Royal Python - Miranda
0.0.1 Western Hognose - Squee

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2014 :  20:31:27  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rory, I've never heard of a thermal blocking issue with a rainbow. They are so thin and lightweight compared with other boas (rainbows' alternate name is the "slender boa," and mature rainbow females are only in the 2000-2200 gram range), that it never seems to happen. That said...if it worries you, have you considered using radiant heat panels?

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

rfalla1980
Snake mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  10:24:18  Show Profile  Visit rfalla1980's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Cliff, that's great I just wanted to be sure. In your opinion, would I be ok to keep using a heat mat and stat then? I've looked at radiant heat panels but they're pretty expensive and hard to source in the UK. If I can stick to a mat/stat setup I'd be really happy as I have the heat/humidity balance nailed :-)

Thanks again for your help. I'll pop up some pics of her soon, she's just shed and looking pretty

0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Lolita
0.1.0 Pastel Royal Python - Miranda
0.0.1 Western Hognose - Squee
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  20:09:32  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've heard mixed opinions on mats. I personally recommend only undercage or radiant. That said, mats have been used successfully before, and so long as you keep a close eye on it the first week or so to catch any issues early, you should be fine!

Looking forward to those picts!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

gmac
Grumpy Scots Admin

United Kingdom
710 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  21:54:27  Show Profile  Send gmac an AOL message  Send gmac a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
generally my rule for using a heatmat would be anything that is over 1kg has the potenetial for thermal blocking and as such a bulb , whether infra red or ceramic, would be my preference. a test you can do yourself is by taking a mat and stat setting it and holding your hand (doesnt need much weight behind it) on the mat you will feel the temps rise. While thermal blocking isnt particularly common it is still possible and does happen.

GMac
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  20:29:58  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good advice, sir!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000