Can i feed when shedding?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jenna22
Snake mite

8 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  11:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My BRB is going into shed, he's the blue colour, everyone keeps describing, he usually gets fed today. Can I feed him still or not?

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  12:07:42  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I personally never offer food when a snake is in a moult. The skin is undergoing a transformation and too much of a stretch could do damage, as could live feeding during this time.

It's totally natural for snakes not to eat during this time, which is another reason you don't need to use feeding 'schedules'. My advice would be to wait until it sloughs and then offer food the next day.

TODD
25 Years of Commitment and Responsibility in Private Herpetoculture
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  19:59:31  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jenna, it depends how far into the shed cycle he is. A Brazilian, especially an adult, can be in shed for two weeks or even longer. Some animals will refuse food throughout, some will take food during part only, and some will eat up until the very day they shed. As Todd noted, it gets riskier the closer the animal is to shedding. If it's still early, it won't hurt either way.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

gluttony32

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2011 :  00:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are on a feeding schedule & If they will take it I dont see why not. It depends on the snake.
Go to Top of Page

paulwatson156
Snake mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  19:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a foot long brb... not had her long, about one month or so... I managed to feed her once and then she stopped feeding. I thought it might have been two cold (in UK) for her. I went to put her in a smaller box so i can maintain the temp. To my luck I found she had shed. I hope she feeds soon. As she has refused now for just over two weeks.

If anyone can offer advise (well, reasurance) I would be greatful as I have been very worred.

Also, my humidity meters seem to register a lot less humid levels than I think I have got. Can anyone offer any help on this? do they need cleaning? or drying every so often or should they work well.

Thanks in advance of your help.
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  21:14:20  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul, snakes will often refuse meals around shed time. As they are designed to go without food for long periods, it is nothing to worry about.

Humidity is much more important, and too-low levels can kill one of these snakes over time. What is your reading, and what makes you think it is higher than that value?

I'm not sure what you meant by "they." The viv? The measuring device?

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000