Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrBD1980
Snake mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2012 :  16:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys and gals,

After reading some posts where people suggested that plantation soil was a great substrate I have changed to try it....I must say it looks great and seems to be awesome for humidity!

I have only put down about 1/2 inch deep...how much do others use?

I will post new enclosure pics when I get a chance to take some....maybe tomorrow night (gmt).

Brian

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2012 :  20:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian--

I've heard it works well as a substrate, with one exception: it will get *everywhere*, including places outside of your enclosure. I'll be interested to see if you have the same finding....

Can't help on depth, as I've never tried it myself, sorry.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2012 :  20:39:35  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Is plantation soil the same as Eco-Earth or coco fiber? I have heard tons of people talking about it, but I can't find it anywhere. The Eco-Earth and coco fiber are everywhere, though. If it is the same....all I can say is best of luck to you. :D I had Marius on Eco-Earth for quite a while and he loved it. He loved it so much, in fact, that he burrowed in it constantly....which eventually led to me having to go on treasure hunts to find his poopies. *Eye roll* It became less fun than I thought it would be, so I switched him out to orchid bark. He likes it, but doesn't burrow in it and the messes are much easier to find now.

As to it getting everywhere....Cliff is spot on. I am STILL finding pieces of it months after I changed it out. >.<

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2012 :  20:49:37  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to put a couple of inches in tanks using it.

@Flirt: tell them this is what you need:

TODD
25 Years of Commitment and Responsibility in Private Herpetoculture
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2012 :  06:27:55  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It looks very similar to Eco-Earth to me. I definitely can't complain about the humidity, it keeps that up very well. I just didn't like it, as Marius became quite adept at hiding his messes in there.

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

MrBD1980
Snake mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2012 :  16:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

I have put a half inch layer down which seems to be good for humidity and also visually! I have deliberately not put a thick enough layer to be able to 'treasure hunt' but I must say I think I prefer this to the orchid bark I had been using...definitely lees of an issue for water pooling underneath!

Cheers Brian
Go to Top of Page

Hidenshi
Snake mite

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2012 :  01:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to change my substrate...and reading more is that Orchid Bark or Eco Earth great?? I am so confused. Lol Do I need both plantation and moss? Or just one? Sorry for asking a stupid question.
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2012 :  22:11:01  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You need both a substrate (Orchid Bark or Eco Earth or plantation soil) and moss. Substrate preferences vary widely -- so long as it does not hurt the snake, holds humidty, does not mold, and does not get everywhere, I'm generally OK with anything. The moss is used for the all-important humid hide.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

Edited by - Snakesitter on 17/09/2012 22:12:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000