Adult viv Question - brb
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moppet

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  18:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As anyone who read my intro thread may know, I am looking into whether it would be possible for me to buy a brb. Part of this decision is based on whether I have space for the adult viv in the future.

Several people have said that 6 square feet of space is needed for an adult. Is this normally by using a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft viv? Does an adult need the opportunity to climb?

From my time on the corn snake forum I have found that people tend to prefer very similar vivs because they work well for that type of snake (something similar to a vivexotic LX34 usually). What type of viv do you prefer for adult brbs and why? Which do you use at the moment and what is good/bad about that particular one?

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  21:10:59  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Six square feet is accurate. However, more is always better. I give all my adults eight square feet of floor space.

Some adults will climb, but they are really terrestrial snakes. All my cages are one foot high.

I use Boaphile 421Ts http://www.boaphileplastics.com/421t.html, and remove the divider as the snake grows. As opaque plastic cages, these units work well on all fronts (temps, humidity, and privacy; thye are extremelty light and stackable as well), though I have one or two with larger door gaps than I'd like. I'm not sure if they are avilable in the UK or not though.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  21:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My rainbows are all babies at the moment but once they have outgrown their RUBS they will be moved into plastic vivs.
These will most likely be Paragon vivs: http://www.paragonvivs.com/
or from Henderson plastics: http://www.hendersons.co.uk/vivarium/vivarium_index.html
In my eyes these are going to last a life time, wooden vivs will not tolerate the higher humidity and will eventually warp.
Glass tanks have too many problems for my liking.
As for size they will have 4'x2'x2' as a minimum.
I'm sure others will have their own preferences

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Moppet

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  23:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcat

My rainbows are all babies at the moment but once they have outgrown their RUBS they will be moved into plastic vivs.
These will most likely be Paragon vivs: http://www.paragonvivs.com/
or from Henderson plastics: http://www.hendersons.co.uk/vivarium/vivarium_index.html
In my eyes these are going to last a life time, wooden vivs will not tolerate the higher humidity and will eventually warp.
Glass tanks have too many problems for my liking.
As for size they will have 4'x2'x2' as a minimum.
I'm sure others will have their own preferences

How much??? Just had a look at those vivs and they're pricey... It's a good job that I would have a couple of years to save up for one! Haha.

I could squeeze in a 4'x2'x2' viv. Probably. It's not like I really need a table in my dining room... Oh dear, I think the addiction is truly taking over now.
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  09:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Addiction soon takes over
Although they appear pricey, I think well worth it as they address the requirements of Rainbows.
They have good thermal properties, great for retaining humidity, provide the 'seclusion' which Rainbows like and are very easy to clean.
You could keep your eyes on classifieds for a second hand one - but don't think they come up very often.

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Moppet

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  18:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are they quite a common preference for housing rainbow boas then? They do sound pretty ideal. I was just surprised at how much more they cost due to being made of the plastic material but if it is the best thing for an adult rainbow then it makes it worth while
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  21:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are my preference - I can't say for others.
A good sealed wooden vivexotic would prob last a good time and you could replace a couple of times before you reached the expense of the plastic vivs, but it is the ease of cleaning, no probs with water spillage, the ability to maintain humidity and regulate temperature with ease that 'sell' them for me
Even knowing I need 4 it hasn't put me off.

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2012 :  21:45:55  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Useful links, thank you Sue!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000