I need some experienced eyes to check this out
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordiehp
Snake mite

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2012 :  03:06:21  Show Profile  Visit jordiehp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm getting my BRB baby Sunday and I'm hoping you guys could check this out and tell me what you think, especially for the UnderTankHeater. I've got the UTH sitting on one of those baking mats that can handle the high heats of an oven and the RUB propped up on wood so that the UTH isn't touching it directly. Please give me any suggestions, I want my snake to be happy!

FRONT VIEW:

TOP VIEW:

SIDE VIEW (with UTH setup):

CLOSE UP OF SIDE:

smart bunny
Hatchling

174 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2012 :  11:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just something I would point out - you seem to be using dial thermometers at the top of the rub? Are you also using a digital one at the bottom somewhere? Dial thermometers are not only inaccurate but they only measure the air temp. You need to measure the actual surface where the snake will be lying. If for example the dial thermometer at the top was reading 28 C then the temp where the snake was actually sitting would be significantly higher, which would be very dangerous for the snake.

Also I cannot tell from the photos - do you have a thermostat for the mat and are there any air holes in the rub? Personally I only have a very tiny air space between the heat mat and the floor of the rub as otherwise it an be tricky to keep the temps correct.

Good luck with your new snake, can't wait to see pics! :)

Go to Top of Page

jeff7377

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  01:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Bunny on the thermometer and hydrometer. Digital is best and you need them set lower in the rub. Your rainbow will spend his time more on the floor thats where you need to know the temps. Nice tree!!! I got the same one for Peanut.
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  10:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My RUBS sit directly on top of my heat mats.
The heat mats are controlled by a thermostat so the temp of the mat never reaches a temp that would 'melt' my RUBS.
I agree with smart bunny and jeff your thermometers and hygrometer really need to be digital with probes that can be placed on the floor of the tub to monitor temp more accurately.
Ventilation holes are essential too - but not too many that would cause humidity maintenance to be difficult.
I too am looking forward to photos of the new arrival

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

jordiehp
Snake mite

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  15:00:28  Show Profile  Visit jordiehp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for all the feedback, guys! I'll definitely invest in a digital thermometer, hopefully I can find a good deal on one at the expo I'm going to this weekend.

I have the UTH connected to a rheostat (which I didn't realize was different than a thermostat, I'll grab one this weekend) but the first night (after I posted the pictures) I had the dial turned up too high and my RUB started to get pretty hot and flexible (not quite melting) Glad I started testing before getting the snake. We turned the dial down and that seemed to help, but until I get the digital thermometer I'm not sure how good it's doing now.

I put air holes in the lid of the RUB and the humidity APPEARS to be doing well, but I'm not sure now that you guys tell me the dial hygrometer is inaccurate.

If I find a decently priced glass tank I may just buy it this weekend, the RUB is making me a little nervous now.
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  15:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no experience of dial hygrometers - have always bought digital due to comments on threads which I read before buying my equipment, but would definately get a digital thermometer.
Thermostats have a probe attached which monitors the temperature (you still need a thermometer as I have found my thermostat setting varies from what the 'actual' temp is) the thermostat then turns the heat mat off when it reaches the desired temp and back on again when it drops below the desired temp. (This is for an on/off mat stat, other types of stats vary in how they work)
I'm not familiar with rheostats so can't comment on the use of these.
It is always good to have set ups running before the addition of your snake - you can then be sure the environment is correct and allow for a happy stress free snake.
I have never had any problems with my RUBS getting hot and flexible and know that glass tanks have their own problems with regards to maintaining temperature.
Have a good time at the expo

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

jordiehp
Snake mite

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  17:26:14  Show Profile  Visit jordiehp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcat

Thermostats have a probe attached which monitors the temperature (you still need a thermometer as I have found my thermostat setting varies from what the 'actual' temp is) the thermostat then turns the heat mat off when it reaches the desired temp and back on again when it drops below the desired temp. (This is for an on/off mat stat, other types of stats vary in how they work)
I'm not familiar with rheostats so can't comment on the use of these.
It is always good to have set ups running before the addition of your snake - you can then be sure the environment is correct and allow for a happy stress free snake.
I have never had any problems with my RUBS getting hot and flexible and know that glass tanks have their own problems with regards to maintaining temperature.
Have a good time at the expo

Thanks for the thermostat explanation, certainly clears things up. The rheostat I bought doesn't have a probe or anything like that, I just plug it into the wall, and then plug the UTH into the rheostat. The rheostat has a dial that lets me decide how hot the UTH gets, so it's a constant heat, but the thermostat sounds like a much better way to control my baby's heat.

I plan on taking lots and lots of photos at the expo, keep a watch out for them next week in the pictures thread =]
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  21:42:35  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I’ll join the chorus here about the gauges, both type and placement. Digital is indeed better, and the probe end of the thermometer should go *directly* on the bottom of the tub, which is where the snake will spend almost all of its time.

For the heat mat, Sue beat me to the point that the tub should sit directly on the heat – or, at least a third of it should, thus forming the “hot end” of the tub.

A thermostat is always more reliable than a rheostat. If you do get one, consider a model with two units in one -- that way you can later add a second snake without having to buy a whole new thermostat (the double models are cheaper than two singles).

A glass tank will have fewer issue with heat, but more serious issues with maintaining humidity. It also affords your snake less privacy, and these snakes are rather secretive. I personally prefer plastic vivs.

Finally, be aware that any newspaper in direct contact with wet moss will mold rather quickly, making a mess to clean up. I still think newspaper is a good choice, but I always try and put my wet moss in another container (usually a hide) to prevent direct paper-moss contact.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000