Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Kazerella
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  14:32:21  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Thought I'd share my new build. I have a BRB waiting to come home to me from Mason as some know. He will be in a RUB untill ready to move over of course but i wanted to get it done so i can iron out any problems.

Initially i was going for a mangrove effect, but having costing things up and looking at bits and pieces it wouldn't have looked as good as a jungle setup. So went for that instead.
I knew that i would need high humidity and that a wooden Viv would warp over time. But i also wanted to keep the same viv's as i have as they look good so i needed a solution.
This is how i did it:

I started with an Oak Vivexotic Vx36. I wanted to line it with acyrlic but the cost of doing so was stupid. So used Plexiglas instead. It cost me about £21 in total.

I cut it all to size and built it in the viv so that it would be a perfect fit. I siliconed all the edges and let it set overnight.

Once i knew it was set i removed the new "box" to make sure it was watertight and let my ducks go swimming over night.

It was quite sturdy and held an amazing amount of water. I stuck 24 litres in there and it held all night.

I made a small barrier i the middle as i want a wet side and a dry side. It was another plexi glass cut with a smoothed top put in the middle of the box.

Again i water tested it and it was all good.

Next up was to cut the top 2 vents out and to add the background.
The tape you can see is double sided tape

If i need to i can always cut out the bottom two vents.

Next up was to add some Decoration and some substrate (for photo purposes i have have stuck the water bowl on a tub. It will be off the ground but need to make a bracket to hold it up)
The substrate is only in for now for testing humidity.

Add some plants

Needed to make a ceiling for it as well so did that with a few braces in it. It fits below the wooden lid and fits perfectly. Just enough pressure to keep it water tight

Still need to do the electrics yet but without any heating or lighting is holding at 92% and 24'.

Here is my 3 stack

Hope you enjoy
Paul.

Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000