Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  14:09:16  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I notice a lot of Royals and Boa Constrictors here, so I'm wondering what else is popular in the UK besides those? I've yet to see any Carpets, Bloods or specialty things like Candoia and am wondering if there are laws preventing the keeping of such animals, or they're just not popular. What can I say, I'm a curious kinda fella

TODD
25 Years of Commitment and Responsibility in Private Herpetoculture

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  15:47:38  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think there are any laws preventing you from keeping things like carpets and bloods but a lot of it goes down to temperament, care and rumours I now a lot of rumours about them being very aggressive but are not true, bloods can be aggressive and so can carpets but iv yet to find one that tried to bite me. Other things like gtp and atb are just harder to care for having more requirements so people get other things, and prices as well.

My collection (so far)
1.1.0 het pied royal python-bullet and bow
1.0.0 ghost corn snake-monty
1.0.0 dog-jake

wish list:
normal royal python, het pied female, lesser female, mojave male and every other morph + plus a brazilian rainbow boa

Edited by - reptiledanny on 05/04/2011 15:48:44
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  18:25:50  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

I don't think there are any laws preventing you from keeping things like carpets and bloods but a lot of it goes down to temperament, care and rumours...

Interesting. Most of Canada has banned all the big guys (Retic, Burm, Rock, Anaconda) and in my area even Boa Constrictors, Carpet Pythons and Iguanas are banned unless you had them & registered them before the ban. Generally there's a 6 foot max from coast to coast.

As for what popular and easy, it's a 50/50 deal with Royals...you can't swing a cat without hitting 5 people who have them, but they're swapped and sold like trading cards because most folks just don't get them and get frustrated by the (lack of) eating habits as they mature.

Carpets are very popular here, but Bloods not so much. Both are huge in the US, but in Canada there are only a handful of us keeping Bloods, and again, folks just don' get them and usually have a terrible experience because they had no idea what they were getting in to.

TODD
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  20:16:13  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
in the uk the only things that have laws are endangered species like madagascan ground boas and venoumous. you can walk into any rep shop or go to a breeder and buy a burm any day, which is a shame because so many end up selling them because they get to big

My collection (so far)
1.0.0 dog-jake

wish list:
normal royal python, het pied female, lesser female, mojave male and every other morph + plus a brazilian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  20:35:56  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

in the uk the only things that have laws are endangered species like madagascan ground boas and venoumous. you can walk into any rep shop or go to a breeder and buy a burm any day, which is a shame because so many end up selling them because they get to big

Well, that's as much the fault of a money-hungry shop keeper as it is that of the ignorant buyer with a fist full of cash. If only snakes came with little t-shirts that said things like "I'm venomous and I'm smarter than you" or "Be Warned: I'll be 10 feet by the time I'm a year old". Alas, they can't keep those shirts on without little arms

TODD
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  08:01:16  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It would be nice to have laws against buying these big animals without a license or something that would stop-people just wanting a big snake because they get big and can scare people or because they do not know any better

My collection (so far)
1.0.0 dog-jake

wish list:
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  11:50:46  Show Profile  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just needs a shop keeper who can educate and have the respect to refuse a sale if they don't think somebody is capable of proper care. I think alot of people underestimate the sheer strength and power of a big snake, it's not a 10ft earthworm it's 10ft of pure muscle, my boa suprised the hell out of me I expected to be able to handle it with ease and if by chance it did bite and constrict my arm I expected to be able to pry it off, no way in hell would I be able to get her off me without help she's like a rock when she's flexing her muscles.

2.3.0 Royal Python of various morph
0.1.0 Common Boa (BCI)
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  14:46:23  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Just needs a shop keeper who can educate and have the respect to refuse a sale if they don't think somebody is capable of proper care. I think alot of people underestimate the sheer strength and power of a big snake, it's not a 10ft earthworm it's 10ft of pure muscle, my boa suprised the hell out of me I expected to be able to handle it with ease and if by chance it did bite and constrict my arm I expected to be able to pry it off, no way in hell would I be able to get her off me without help she's like a rock when she's flexing her muscles.

A shop keeper more interested in education than money is a truly rare thing. If they weren't there for the money, they wouldn't be there at all.

I've been doing this for 24 years and I'll tell you, I think a Boa Constrictor attack is a serious thing. Far more dangerous than any Morelia or even Eunectes that I've ever dealt with. Even Retics and Burmese don't use as much muscle during constriction unless there is a struggle, but a Boa Constrictor is going to use every ounce of it's considerable power when it attacks. They're not called Boa *Constrictor* because someone ran out of names, it's there for a reason

TODD
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  15:04:05  Show Profile  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
"They're not called Boa *Constrictor* because someone ran out of names"

lmao!

2.3.0 Royal Python of various morph
0.1.0 Common Boa (BCI)
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  15:56:58  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kings are quite big over here too.

Suppose the difference between brits and our friends over the sea is that we are not that big into size, hence why they like Cadillacs and we like Minis

Plus I would think most people in the UK live in a terraced house or a semi. Not quite big enough for a retic mi'thinks

It is an interesting topic though, because having all the forums means I can gauge international interest. It's great that we have a lot of Americans and Canadians on here, while the hognose site is full of breeders from the Netherlands and Germany. The King and Royal sites have an even mix, but I would say the corn site is predominantly UK users. It shows that different nations find appeal in different reps. Not sure why that is though

Go to Top of Page

gmac
Grumpy Scots Admin

United Kingdom
710 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  22:34:44  Show Profile  Send gmac an AOL message  Send gmac a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
there are a lot of big snake owners out there, however what I have found is that the big snake owners like burms, retics, afrocks and anacondas etc is that they tend to stay with the bigger snake and wont have the smaller snakes in their collections therefore not using forums like ours.

GMac
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  03:04:03  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'm sure there are lots of folks keeping the bigger things, like you say Gmac, and they probably clique together, but I do like to offset larger things with smaller additions, personally. My Bloods are great and the Carpets are a hoot to interact with as they explore the house for hours and such, but neither are big on just sitting with you to watch a movie or something.

Of course, my Rainbows or Royal won't either, lol. They're content to sit for a few minutes but then they too like to explore for hours.

Glad to hear the hardiest of the hardy are popular there too (Kings, Corns and such). They're great fun in their own right, for sure.

If only we had Snow Snakes in Canada...with all the space we have could you imagine how big they'd get and how soft and fluffy their pure white coats would be

TODD
Go to Top of Page

gmac
Grumpy Scots Admin

United Kingdom
710 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  02:03:24  Show Profile  Send gmac an AOL message  Send gmac a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDN_Blood

If only we had Snow Snakes in Canada...with all the space we have could you imagine how big they'd get and how soft and fluffy their pure white coats would be

Pretty sure there is a boa like that, also sure they are found in Canada

GMac
Go to Top of Page

Hammy

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  08:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

[/quote]

Live for today and let tomorrow look after itself!
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  11:52:45  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

Hahaha! That's the one, alright. You have to be very careful with them...they sit on tree branches during the winter, disguised as a pile of snow and when you walk under them BAM! They come off that branch and envelop you. Next thing you know, your friends are walking in a line with long poles poking around in what they *believe* to be snow, calling your name and desperately searching for any clue as to your whereabouts. At least 0.003 people each year fall victim to them here

TODD
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Snake mite

20 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2011 :  01:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha! this thread made me smile :) im fairly new to snake keeping , started with corns , then a python and then a boa . have made sure ive done alot of research before each one , especially the boa and have a nice crawl cay dwarf :) wouldnt mind a fluffy snow snake tho! LOL!

1.1 corns - kodi & Kai
1.0 royal python - Zac
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000