New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nathair2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2012 :  16:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys. Just wondering when it's best to upgrade my BRBS type of food. She's on fluffys at the moment but seems to eat them easily and once she's eaten them, it's very hard to see the mouse go down her body. It seems to get the stomach very quickly and easily. Shes currently 15 months old. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :) x x

Dee

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2012 :  17:08:05  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If you can't see much of a lump after she's eaten the fluff, then it is definitely time to upgrade her food. :) I would try a hopper or a rat crawler at the least and see how she does with that.

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Nathair2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2012 :  18:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did think that!! It was quite amazing because when we fed Arco last week, we accidentally dropped the fluff and she still went for it but took it legs first! She had it coiled and then realised she wanted the head first so she corrected it! It was amazing!! Me and my partner were totally engrossed! Didn't think she'd realise it wasn't the right way around!! We will get her a bigger feed next week. Thanks again for the great advice Incurable :) x x

Dee
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2012 :  19:53:56  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
:D Marius did that in his younger days on occasion. They really are fascinating creatures. Best of luck with your girl, I'm sure she'll do great with the larger prey item. :)

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Nathair2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2012 :  21:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks incurable! Will let you know how she gets on with the bigger prey :) x

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  19:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Properly sized prey should be as big around as the snake at its widest point, maybe a bit more, and should leave a notable lump once swallowed. At 15 months, Insurable is right, definitely time to move up.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Nathair2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  07:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So we fed Arco on Friday night and haven't seen her since?? I have checked on her this morning and she's buried really deep in her hide. Is this normal? She just seems quite inactive?

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  21:24:55  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Snakes will often go comatose for a while after they eat, in order to digest. They usually hide during this process for safety. So...totally normal.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000