Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nathair2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  22:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys. We upgraded Arco from fluffys to small mice on Friday. She took the food straight away without much coaxing. The thing is tho, we haven't seen her since?? She went straight into her hide. We don't think she's been out since. Should I be worried?? It's been nearly 4 days?? :

Dee

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  02:15:25  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds perfectly normal to me. You'll see her when she's ready, and the fact that she's still out of commission is good because that's usually a sign that she had a good meal :)

TODD
25 Years of Commitment and Responsibility in Private Herpetoculture
Go to Top of Page

Nathair2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  07:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a big relief! Cheers Todd! Do you think it would be ok to get her out tonight or should I leave her until she decides to come out herself?

Dee
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  11:22:38  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I wait until they start moving on their own, but I've seen people handle their snakes 48 hours after feeding, which I would never-never recommend.

TODD
25 Years of Commitment and Responsibility in Private Herpetoculture
Go to Top of Page

Nathair2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  19:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonight will be the 5th night of not seeing her. Considering we were going to feed her again on Friday, it's not a lot of time to actually see her? It's gonna be kinda pointless if she's gonna hide 5-6 days a week? Do you think she'll get more active once she's used to the bigger mice?

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  21:31:29  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've heard 24 hours, Todd...which horrifies me. I'll wait 72 hours at a minimum. Then again, I also suspect I feed smaller meals than you do, so they are quicker to digest.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Nathair2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So should I leave her then? She might possibly be coming into shed too. She shed on 9th May and the end of june. Could it possible she's due to shed again so soon? I'm just worried because when we first got her she was so inactive. I'm probably just being paranoid

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2012 :  20:36:50  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're worried, you can check on her. If she fed Friday it's been long enough. And if she's entering shed that would be early, but another reason that she would hide. Just don't be offended if the first thing she does on being placed back in her viv is bury herself again. ;-)

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  06:36:16  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I always give Marius at least two days to digest his meal before I consider handling him. That's 48 hours...sometimes a little longer if he seems content. In all the time I've had him, I have never had a problem with him regurging. However...I think if I fed him larger meals like Todd does, I would most certainly give him a lot longer to digest.

Dee, I think you are stressing yourself out more than anything. ;D :) Probable that your lady is heading into a shed cycle and just wants to totally chill out in hiding. Also, with a larger meal, she will take a bit longer getting her body used to digesting more. I think you will find that she will be back to normal once she has had a few more meals (and possibly shed! ;) ) and all will be good. I know others here might not agree with me, but I am of the mindset that it isn't a bad thing to just check on your snakies. Even after I have fed some of mine, I will go through and check their water levels and refresh everyone's moisture and stuff like that. I have yet to have a problem with regurges on any of my "kids". That doesn't mean I handle them after they've fed, but I might lift their hide to make sure all is well, then leave them be. Snakes are pretty resilient. ;)

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa

Edited by - IncurableFlirt on 10/08/2012 06:36:42
Go to Top of Page

Nathair2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  07:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. She's due a feed tonight but still hasn't come out. Should we feed her anyway or give her a few more days?

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  15:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My young Brb and the baby Crb's generally shed every 4-6 weeks and hide in their moist hides. I generally miss a feed out when they are shedding - I don't like to stress them by getting them out to feed.
If she is definately in shed I would personally leave her until she has shed, but that is just my opinion.

1.1.0 BRB's 0.0.2 CRB's
0.1.2 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 House snake
0.1.0 Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  16:36:04  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Blackcat. If it looks like she has gone into the blue or is getting a bit dull....then I'd leave her to her own comfort and skip the feeding. However, if you check on her and she doesn't look changed (normal coloring, etc), then I would go ahead and try feeding her the next meal and see how she responds. :) If she doesn't look interested, I'd skip the feeding and give her some time...because she might just still be feeling full and not at that "hungry again" stage.

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
Go to Top of Page

Nathair2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  18:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much Incurable and Blackcat. I'll keep an eye out for her tonight. If she doesn't come out, I'll check her coloration tomorrow and see if it's any different. It's kinda hard to tell if she's shedding if it's in the early stages because we're still getting used to her! Once again, your advice has been invaluable. Can't thank you guys enough. This forum is fabulous :)

Dee
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  19:00:17  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Most welcome and glad I could offer my advice. :) It can be difficult to see the changes on their pre-shedding condition, so I totally understand that. Even if she is going into the blue and you can't tell, you can still try to offer her the meal. It won't hurt her to eat and be in shed. I have found that Marius shuns food when he goes into the blue, so that is a good sign for me that he's nearing his cycle. So if she doesn't eat, don't panic. ;) If she does eat...no worries! :D

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
Go to Top of Page

Nathair2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  21:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'll leave it till tomorrow. I'll take her out tomorrow evening and see if she feeds. If not then we'll just see how it goes. As I say, I think I'm being paranoid because of all that happened when we got her!! Thanks again Incurable. Great advice as always :)

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  02:32:31  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I typically offer a meal even when a snake is in shed, *unless* it is an animal that typically refuses in shed. The extra calories never hurt if the animal is interested, and that way you kill two birds (digesting, shedding) with one time stone!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000