Subspecies in question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  20:28:54  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any thoughts on which ssp this might actually be? It doesn't change colour like my Columbian used to do occasionally at night. It never looks any different that it does in this image...

All thoughts are welcome :)

I've tried to use the IMG tag but it doesn't work so had to just use a link to my own site where I have it's album posted, sorry :(

http://ncrfnetwork.clanteam.com/NCRF_Network/Skyler.html#11

*Edited by K to include one of the pics*

TODD
25 Years of Commitment and Responsibility in Private Herpetoculture

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 24/02/2011 01:48:59

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  01:31:51  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have a looky here for info on how to post pics with Photobucket.
http://www.therainbowboa.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=768

Or to post from your site, just do as I did.
Get the direct image link and the put [IMG] in front and [/IMG] after it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 24/02/2011 01:50:49
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  02:11:12  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Have a looky here for info on how to post pics with Photobucket.
http://www.therainbowboa.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=768

Or to post from your site, just do as I did.
Get the direct image link and the put [IMG] in front and [/IMG] after it.

Thanks Kehhyler, I did read the Photobucket thing and tried the IMG tag also, but I just wouldn't take. It's probably an issue with how my site embeds the photos in the albums. It would probably work if I just had a single images posted on a page of their own, which I'll try next time :)

TODD
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  02:16:09  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Your site is a bit over complex to grab individual image links, yes. But even so, as I said, all you need to do is get the direct image link from your site and wrap it in img tags.
If you need a hand.

We're here to help, most of us anyway.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  05:51:49  Show Profile  Visit Blackecho's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my first thought was Columbian.

www.royalpython.co.uk/forum

Edited by - gmac on 24/02/2011 20:14:09
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  12:38:03  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Your site is a bit over complex to grab individual image links, yes. But even so, as I said, all you need to do is get the direct image link from your site and wrap it in img tags.
If you need a hand.

We're here to help, most of us anyway.

Again, thanks so much Kehhlyr :)

TODD
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  12:49:42  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

my first thought was Columbian.

Back on track :)

I thought Columbian also, but the colour is just not *quite* as rich as a Columbian usually would be, and the sides are mottled. I had a Columbian for years and years in the past. Sometimes at night it would lighten so much that side pattern would be revealed and when it did, there were distinct markings visible that you'd expect to see on an Argentinian or even a Peruvian.

This one simply has a mottled effect on the sides and I've yet to see it lighten or darken whatsoever. I currently have it listed as a Guyanan, but don't have 100% faith in that. Not that it matters to me or anyone else, really, but I wouldn't mind finding it a mate at some point in the future and would really prefer to search for a mate of the same subspecies.

TODD
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Hatchling

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  15:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum! I agree with the others, looks like a nice healthy Coloumbian to me

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB'10 "Jade"
1.0.0. Normal Cornsnake CB'00 "Camo" _RIP_
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender Cornsnake CB'11 "Amber"
0.0.1. Spider in the bathroom

Edited by - gmac on 24/02/2011 20:15:37
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  16:20:35  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I personaly think its not a Coloumbian due to the side patterns and its head colouring.
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  16:41:05  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

I personaly think its not a Coloumbian due to the side patterns and its head colouring.

That's exactly what's throwing me, too. Back when I had my first Rainbow (over 20 years ago) there were only 4 subspecies defined (Columbian, Peruvian, Argentinian, Brazilian) and it certainly doesn't quite fit any of those, yet I can't seem to find a definitive example of the other ssp now classified, which is why I landed here :)

TODD
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  17:15:51  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok if you give me about few mins i will open a new thread in the rainbow morph section with all 8 to 9 subspecies then you can look from there.
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  17:40:40  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have made new thread in the Rainbow morphs section with around 11 to 12 subspecies. Click here for link to Rainbow Morphs Section

After looking in my book and comparing pics with your pic to the ones in my Rainbow Boa book I can 100% say your Rainbow is a Guyana Rainbow Boa it's a morph from a Columbian Rainbow Boa I checked the side patterns and head colouring along with colouring down it's body and it's a match, You don't get many Guyana's around so you must feel lucky .

By the way that Guyana Rainbow Boa is looking fantasic looks huge how old is it and it's name ? .

Edit: Fixed link

Edited by - hiper2009 on 24/02/2011 17:51:09
Go to Top of Page

gmac
Grumpy Scots Admin

United Kingdom
710 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  20:16:07  Show Profile  Send gmac an AOL message  Send gmac a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
thread cleaned.

GMac
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  00:40:42  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

I have made new thread in the Rainbow morphs section with around 11 to 12 subspecies. Click here for link to Rainbow Morphs Section

After looking in my book and comparing pics with your pic to the ones in my Rainbow Boa book I can 100% say your Rainbow is a Guyana Rainbow Boa it's a morph from a Columbian Rainbow Boa I checked the side patterns and head colouring along with colouring down it's body and it's a match, You don't get many Guyana's around so you must feel lucky .

By the way that Guyana Rainbow Boa is looking fantasic looks huge how old is it and it's name ? .

Edit: Fixed link

Awesome! Thanks so much! That's what I was thinking, but wasn't 100% on it, but it sure is good to know :)

It's apparently only 3 1/2 years old (probably 4 by late summer/early fall), which is rather surprising, but considering how chunky it was and how much it's original owner loved it, that age isn't all that shocking. It was overfed and I've trimmed it-out quite a bit. It was at the point that it stopped eating f/t food for him, which is usually an indicator that it's simply had enough.

I have 3 Blood Pythons so I'm used to seeing heavy snakes, but this was a little too much and it's just not healthy, so we're working on muscle tone now.

I'm very happy with her for sure :)

TODD
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  00:58:24  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good for you, Todd, for noting the extra weight and dealing with it quickly! Rainbows are especiaslly prone to overfeeding, so I'm always happy to see someone being proactive on that front.

Would you mind sharing how you're approaching the muscle tone issue, please, as we've not yet had a post on that and I'm sure others would find it interesting? (I'd respectfully suggest starting a new thread, as that will make it easier for users to find the info in the future.)

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  10:24:12  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's great news , With the muscle tone did you mean like more excerise or giving her some dumbells haha .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000