Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  17:50:01  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Brazilian Rainbow Boa + Three Morphs
  • Albino Rainbow Boa
  • Anerythristic Rainbow Boa
  • Calico Rainbow Boa

Marajo Rainbow Boa

Espirito Santo Rainbow Boa

Argentine Rainbow Boa

Peruvian Rainbow Boa

Minas Gerias Rainbow Boa

Paraguayan Rainbow Boa

Colombian Rainbow Boa + Two Morphs Below
  • Guyana Rainbow Boa
  • Venezuela Rainbow Boa

Caatinga Rainbow Boa

Rio Bravo Rainbow Boa

These are most of the Subspecies in Rainbow Boa's.

Edited by - gmac on 24/02/2011 21:01:17

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  18:17:52  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ash, this is a valiant task on behalf of the forum and I hugely appreciate it (as I'm sure everyone does!). However, I’m guessing this came from the book you’re reading, and have a few corrections based on newer info.

As of 2008, a study authored by Paulo Passos and Ronaldo Fernandes narrowed the existing epicrates cenchria complex from nine to five subspecies, as follows: E. c. cenchria (including E. c. gaigei and E. c. hygrophilus), E. c. crassus (including E. c. polylepis), E. c. maurus (including E. c. barbouri), E. c. alvarezi, and E. c. assisi. For those interested in reading it, the paper is called “Revision of the Epicrates Cenchria Complex (Serpentes: Boidae).”

For Brazilians (E. c. cenchria) in particular, there are *five* morphs out there. Two are “proven” (anery and hypo) -- this means they have completely breeding trials with the expected outcomes. Three are “unproven” (albino, calico, and ghost) -- this means the proving process is still underway.

For the three unproven: two full ghosts were produced in 2010 by Mike Lockwood, but some have doubts on the anery part of their genetics; the albino has hets in existence but only one full parent animal, and is expected to prove out in a few years; and the public calico line is still in the early proving stages.

Again, apologies, just wanted to make sure the record is clear.

***Important disclaimer: from time to time, the topic of crossed-breeding between different rainbow subspecies comes up. This will be even more tempting with this new info that supposedly "removes" some of those barriers. However, taxonomy is a field subject to constant revision and tinkering. As such, I would take these conclusions with a grain of salt until they have withstood the test of time (like, say, ten or more years), and in the meantime *not* cross-breed. Were the newly grouped subspecies to be separated again –-- and this has happened before in taxonomy history -- a completed crossbreed project is a move that can never be “undone.”

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

Edited by - Snakesitter on 24/02/2011 18:19:28
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  22:53:54  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cliff , Yes it came from the book i ordered these subspecies and morphs was all pictured in the book but as you said from 2008 they dropped the number down my book was made in 2004. I have ordered another book from the same maker but its a Boa book but contains rainbow morphs and subspecies in it and its more upto date made in 2009.
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  23:44:20  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be interested to see if that new book reflects the 2008 study -- it may not have made their research list due to timing. Funny how every source has a different list in this field!

I'm still eager to hear if the 2004 book has any new care tips or insights!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  10:33:27  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snakesitter

I'll be interested to see if that new book reflects the 2008 study -- it may not have made their research list due to timing. Funny how every source has a different list in this field!

I'm still eager to hear if the 2004 book has any new care tips or insights!

Oh boy don't get me started on the 2004 book it is fantasic pact with so much information and tips for caring , Also list's all the external parasites , internal parasites , and disease , infections , trauma , fungal , viral disease , popeye , It even list that IBD and tells you there is no known cure for it and tells you what it does and how it effects.

I was thinking of making a new thread on the health section by copying all the info from my book to on here just from the health pages from the book so people know what these risk's involve and are aware of what it can do but i get the feeling from mods that they don't wan't me to post so i will leave it for now until the site admins email me back to say its fine i do so otherwise a mod here will just prob delet my thread or something eles.
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  11:46:47  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if you are planning to do that and copy it word for word i would email the publisher or maker and check if it is ok as it could be classed at copyright, just to be on the safe side
Go to Top of Page

gmac
Grumpy Scots Admin

United Kingdom
710 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  12:18:28  Show Profile  Send gmac an AOL message  Send gmac a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

but i get the feeling from mods that they don't wan't me to post so i will leave it for now until the site admins email me back to say its fine i do so otherwise a mod here will just prob delet my thread or something eles.

Where does it suggest that the mods dont want you posting or that we will delete your threads is a bit of a strange comment.

At no time have any of the mods suggested or even hinted at this.

If you want to post or start threads there is nobody that has any objections.

Also as Danny has suggested contact the publisher to see if you can quote from the book, or just put it into your own words and say something like "information below based on book insert book title here" or something to that effect.

GMac

Edited by - gmac on 25/02/2011 12:53:30
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  17:46:43  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear it was a useful purchase.

While I admire your enthusiam to share good info, I agree with Daniel and Graeme, Ash: contact the publisher first. Otherwise, your posts *will* be regarded as copyright infingement. I would also suggest that rather than copying information, you post *limited* summaries recast in your own words, and end each and every such post with a statement like "The above information was condensed from the book [Name] by [Name], published by [Name] in 2004. For a copy of the full book, please contact the publisher at [Contact]."

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook

Edited by - Snakesitter on 25/02/2011 17:48:46
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  12:08:12  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yep well i don't know how to contact the publisher so i think i shall give it a miss for now .
Go to Top of Page

gmac
Grumpy Scots Admin

United Kingdom
710 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  23:52:41  Show Profile  Send gmac an AOL message  Send gmac a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
the publisher will more than likely have a website listed in the book somewhere at the front or back. you can get the contact details from that and email them asking for permission to quote from the book and that you will include book title author and publisher year of publish etc the worst thing they can say is no.

or you can put it in your own words, which i think may be a better idea, and stating information provided in this is based on book reference etc

GMac
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  13:42:40  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is all really great information. Thanks to everyone for their input and efforts!

All we need now is a thread combining Latin with Common Names and an image for each so bewildered folks like myself can put all the pieces together, haha

Oh, I know it probably can't be done without stepping on someone else's toes and infringing upon various people's image banks, so I wonder if anyone would be able to enlighten me as to the Latin classification of what we've now determined my Rainbow ssp to be, which is Guyanan.

I currently list her on my site as simply an E.c. ssp., which is kinda cheap. Now that she's settled-in and doesn't try to eat my face anymore, I think I should pay her the homage of a proper classification. Any input is appreciated

TODD
25 Years of Commitment and Responsibility in Private Herpetoculture
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  17:46:31  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here you go, Todd:

Master List of Rainbow Boa Subspecies

E. c. cenchria (“Brazilian”)
--(now includes) E. c. gaigei (“Peruvian”)
--(now includes) E. c. hygrophilus (“Espirito Santo”)

E. c. crassus (“Paraguayan”)
--(now includes) E. c. polylepis (“Central highland”)

E. c. maurus (“Colombian”)
--(now includes) E. c. barbouri (“Marajo Island”)

E. c. alvarezi (“Argentine”)

E. c. assisi (“Caatinga”)

*Important disclaimer: from time to time, the topic of crossed-breeding between different rainbow subspecies comes up. This will be even more tempting with this new info that supposedly "removes" some of those barriers. However, taxonomy is a field subject to constant revision and tinkering. As such, I would take these conclusions with a grain of salt until they have withstood the test of time (like, say, ten or more years), and in the meantime *not* cross-breed. Were the newly grouped subspecies to be separated again –-- and this has happened before in taxonomy history -- a completed crossbreed project is a move that can never be “undone.”

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  02:15:20  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snakesitter

Here you go, Todd:...

You guys are just the best! Thanks Snakesitter

TODD
25 Years of Commitment and Responsibility in Private Herpetoculture
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  23:39:41  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any time. :-)

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  21:40:01  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDN_Blood

This is all really great information. Thanks to everyone for their input and efforts!

Thanks .
Go to Top of Page

RaverBaby
Banned

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  14:49:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi can u help me the snake that i hav payed for is a anerythristic brazilian rainbow boa but i donnt no what this means i paid £140 for her and wil b collecting her on saturdayish
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000